77 CJ5 Daily Driver Resto

DannyH

smokey burnouts
I traded my xj buggy for this 77 cj5, and my current daily driver is getting a little too boring for me. I am beginning this project very soon on the 5 that I traded for. Here is what I am starting with.
ai1067.photobucket.com_albums_u440_danthemannn1997_IMG_3008_zpsooypekt3.jpg

No, it is not the prettiest CJ5 I have ever seen but I plan on an extensive resto (possibly frame off). It also looks better since the picture was taken before I added the windshield and gave it a good pressure wash.
Here is the specs:
77 CJ5
AMC 258
Crappy lift
33" bfg mud-terrains really great tread
Simulated beadlock wheels
ugly cage built off of the factory cage
and some makeshift stuff welded in for a winch plate
Dana 30 front
amc 20 rear
No rust what so ever! (this was the main reason I liked it)
no real body damage besides the fenders that will be replaced
the inside was also professionally rhino lined

So far I have installed the windshield removed the seats and removed the tail lights. The plans for the jeep are:
remove body clean the frame
remove the ugly winch mount or make it look nicer
repaint frame
rebuild 258 or swap for slightly built 360
replace fenders
replace hood or fix it (small hole)
new seats
Stock cage
taillights, etc, etc, etc...

The ultimate plan is to turn this 5 into a fully restored daily driver that could see some mild trail use.

Last edited:
Disassembly on the 5 is going quick. In the picture many things are still left, but its current state is down to the engine and frame and axles. I pressure washed the majority of the existing mud off. No major updates besides that both of the inner bearings in the amc 20 and the dana 30 are good. The rear has a spartan locker, the engine has headers and a new carb, which is really cool! I've decided i'm going with yellow paint but that will be done after my frame and axles are restored and enigne and trans are back in and all my lines are hooked up.
ai1067.photobucket.com_albums_u440_danthemannn1997_20160324_183423_zps1vmwqjph.jpg

My next move is pulling both the springs and axles and cleaning them completely and repainting them. I thought about upgrading axles, but I will never be putting any tires larger than 33s on and I do not plan on wheeling the thing much.

I need some help with the paint. i currently cannot afford a really expensive paint job and am considering doing it with a friend that does body work. I am thinking about using summit single stage paint.
Does anyone have any experience with the paint summit sells???? I know it isn't top notch, but will it turn out nice with all the correct prep???

Not sure about summit paint, but if it was me I would find a ppg store locally. They have a omni line that's less expensive. That way you can get the compatible primer too. Let em know your budget and see what the suggest. They carry a alk200 line single stage industrial enamel that's pretty beginner friendly. I shot a truck with it a few years ago, turned out great, especially for the 60 bucks I had in it. It's good to buy it from a place that you can call back, when you have questions during the process. I doubt you'd get much support from the summit customer service. Just a suggestion, worth what you paid. Good luck.

Not sure about summit paint, but if it was me I would find a ppg store locally. They have a omni line that's less expensive. That way you can get the compatible primer too. Let em know your budget and see what the suggest. They carry a alk200 line single stage industrial enamel that's pretty beginner friendly. I shot a truck with it a few years ago, turned out great, especially for the 60 bucks I had in it. It's good to buy it from a place that you can call back, when you have questions during the process. I doubt you'd get much support from the summit customer service. Just a suggestion, worth what you paid. Good luck.
Yeah I've thought about that option. And now that you mention I'll probably go that way. Thanks for the input!

Tear down is pretty much done! and I'm on to the painting and restoring. I'm beginning by going through the axles and started on the rear. Inner bearings are good pinion bearings are good outers... well they probably have not been changed since they were put on in 1977, so they are removed and the new are on the way. AMC 20 outer bearings and seals seem to go for a pretty penny. but I got the axle prepped and painted and now on to the front then the engine and frame. the axle is satin black like my frame will be in the picture its more like flat.
ai1067.photobucket.com_albums_u440_danthemannn1997_20160420_170503_zpsandtyuyx.jpg

So the engine is removed and now I am on to painting it back with the amc blue and putting all new freeze plugs in along with a new valve cover and for the most part new gaskets. I found a good company called KBS coatings and have heard some really good reviews on their products so that is what I am going with.
here is the motor paint I will be using, along with the prep products Motor Coater Engine Paint Kit - Engine Paint - Engine Enamel - KBS Coatings
ai1067.photobucket.com_albums_u440_danthemannn1997_20160420_102624_zpsatdazfcn.jpg

If on a budget, the ALK200 that was mentioned before is actually a pretty durable solution. We use it a lot for under carriages and such. The gloss levels can be easily modified as well if you want a semi gloss or satin finish. It can be buffed, but it won't shine quite like a auto grade single stage. Can be shot direct to metal with pretty good adhesion.

If on a budget, the ALK200 that was mentioned before is actually a pretty durable solution. We use it a lot for under carriages and such. The gloss levels can be easily modified as well if you want a semi gloss or satin finish. It can be buffed, but it won't shine quite like a auto grade single stage. Can be shot direct to metal with pretty good adhesion.
not really looking for a tough paint necessarily but I want something that is going to last. It wont see too much time in the woods, but im trying to keep the paint budget less than $1000

Had a huge round about trying to rear wheel bearings and I finally came up with the correct ones. I am going to do a write up here on changing rear wheel bearings for the amc 20 with stock one piece shafts. Well assuming that mine are stock. I am not really sure considering that every parts store int he world, along with morris 4x4 center gave me the wrong bearings. Until I decided to put the bearings under the reader at work and decipher the barely legible numbers on them.

I'm pretty positive that all the bearings on this vehicle have been neglected since 1977. Currently replacing all of the bearings except carrier bearings, which I will probably get into once I get it back up and going.

After that I'll post up a write up/ review on the KBS Coatings frame paint and engine paint and prep products. I am excited to get the frame done, so I can start putting things back where they go and see some good progress.

With this issue of paint coming nearer an nearer I've decided that I am going to order standard vehicle paint from a local shop that my uncle usually uses, and have him help me with the body prep and paint since I am fairly new to this deal.

So I have moved along a good bit over the past months since this project started. Due to other builds and work and college, I have not reached the point I'd like to be at on this restoration. Along with my hatred for working in the heat. So here is what I have completed since my last post.
New rear outer bearings
stripped dirt/grim off of axle (angle grinder with wire wheel)
repainted axle
new ubolts
repainted springs
new spring hangers
stripped the frame. (angle grinder with wire wheel also. this is an effective method for those on a budget.)
KBS coatings 3 step prep/painting- Kbs coatings makes an awesome product that I highly recommend for anyone planning to paint a frame or an axle. I used it on the frame and unfortunately I had already painted the rear axle and planned to make the front axle match. KBS can be brushed or sprayed on. I don't have the perfect set up for using a spray gun currently, so I decided to brush it on and was pleasantly surprised at how well this stuff self levels as advertised. If you use their prep it seems to be a really tough paint. I want to see how it really holds up with road miles, but so far I am greatly impressed and it is pretty reasonable compared to some of Eastwood's chassis paint.
stripped repainted front axle
new ubolts
new outer bearings, spindle bearings, needle bearings, etc. inner seals.
painted spings
then after a long break I cleaned and painted the engine.

minus probably a few pieces I have covered what work I have completed. I am getting ready to sit the engine back into the frame. I have all of the mounts I just need to get the cross-member cleaned and get new bolts for it. the drive train/ chassis will then be complete and I can start on steering then finally the body. It's coming along just much slower than I wanted. Here is the picture of my current progress
IMG_20160904_150823_zpsd2djd5wt.jpg

Well guys it looks like I will be takeing over this build thread I may start a new one with a link to this one but me and Dan did a trade his cj5 project for my Comanche project.

I guess I will just continue this thread as it seems easier than having 2 threads for one jeep lol. ok here goes nothing.

Update #1 befor Dan brought the frame down here for me I got a Lil excited and bought a 9,000lb winch for it lol and a 12,000 lb for my jku. I've got allot of boxes of parts and bolts I need to sort through. but so far on the need to get list is a new clutch kit, and linkage set, and a new radiator. and posable intake and exhaust gaskets. other than that I'm gonna get the header dry ice blasted and painted and work on getting the motor put back together. and probably sanding on the tub and roll bars to get them cleaned up. my main concern is getting the small parts put together so the wife does not kill me yet lol. I'm probably gonna ditch the seats the hood and fenders I have a parts cj5 I can get some things from that are still good on it, body wise any way, that being said does anyone have any ideas on seats to go in it that won't break the bank or be a total pain? was thinking about a set of xj seats but not sure if the hight will work out as I'll be using the roll bar that is with it witch looks to be the factory one that has been added onto. and I will be a tempting to use a factory soft top frame as I will be putting a top on it.

Started going through some stuff and got part of it organized, then I got board and started cleaning things up a bit. project go away Yello is in full effect lol
20161122_160417.jpg
20161122_160434.jpg

I have a set of smittybilt factory style reclining seats in my 78 CJ5 I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price. They are black vinyl. My jeeps getting ready to be built and I bought some corbeau seats. Text me at 757-472-5144 and I can send you some pics if you're interested.

Back