Street legal buggy

I think the high beam indicator is an oft overlooked necessity. There is also the emissions aspect of it also.

Think no indicator will be fine. Isn't it anything '95 or older doesn't have to pass emissions?

Think no indicator will be fine. Isn't it anything '95 or older doesn't have to pass emissions?
Indicators for hi beam and turn signals do matter and you still have to pass a visual inspection of emissions.

Correct...Pre OBD II. Some where about that year. Im not even sure you need signals. I think the law still allows hand signals. But I don't do inspections, so... :)

Think the Samurai buggy will pass NC inspection? Only about 4' of original frame left.

It has to have all factory equiped emissions
components intact and in place on the vehicle. It has 35 years old to be exempt from NCSI. Just stating what we were taught in class not necessarily what is practiced at every station.

It has to have all factory equiped emissions
components intact and in place on the vehicle. It has 35 years old to be exempt from NCSI. Just stating what we were taught in class not necessarily what is practiced at every station.

^^^
Probably this, on Pre OBD II...unless you have a "friend"! Just cuz ya dont have to plug in!

^^^
Probably this, on Pre OBD II...unless you have a "friend"! Just cuz ya dont have to plug in!

Ah, you're right. I guess I was thinking no obdII = no CEL by removing the cat lol.

What about if I swap an obdII engine into it? Would they go by what it's titled as?

I saw a sign at the tire place yesterday that in 2012 NC passed a law saying a vehicle was only required to pass emissions for 3 years from the model year. I'll try to find something on that..

Edit: here's the link
North Carolina to End Auto Emissions Testing for Newer Cars
Yea if the car is newer than 3 years OR 70k miles its safety only just like 95 and older which still includes an emissions visual. After 3/70k its the regular emissions + safety. 1995 until age 35 is safety only. 35 + years from current is exempt from inspection altogether.

Yea if the car is newer than 3 years OR 70k miles its safety only just like 95 and older which still includes an emissions visual. After 3/70k its the regular emissions + safety. 1995 until age 35 is safety only. 35 + years from current is exempt from inspection altogether.
Just since I'm curious what does an emission visual inspection deal with? What are they looking for?

Just since I'm curious what does an emission visual inspection deal with? What are they looking for?

Muffler and cat I would assume.

Gas cap installed, unleaded fuel nozzle restrictor ( the smaller hole with the metal flap under the cap), egr, smog pump, catalyst, evap (charcoal) canister, o2 sensor, pcv valve, and thermostatic air cleaner ( the older tube that hooked the air cleaner snorkle to the exhaust heat shield), plus any related parts for the above systems such as solenoids or vacuum hoses if applicable (some cars don't have egr or air pump systems for example. We have to compare what's listed on the emissions sticker under the hood or in our repair manual to determine what's needed.

That's just the visual emissions part, the safety part includes tire tread depth all lights, wipers, steering and braking system, park brake, horn, etc.

Edit: mirrors, exhaust system also part of safety. You got to have a muffler (turbo is considered a muffler) and no leaks.

Last edited:
Sweet! My 1981 "Jeep CJ5" aka Smokey ;) doesn't need an inspection anymore!

When I rebuilt the buggy, err, Jeep, this year, I made sure all the emission items were in there anyway. :)

And, it will have working headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and signals; horn too.

Sweet! My 1981 "Jeep CJ5" aka Smokey ;) doesn't need an inspection anymore!

When I rebuilt the buggy, err, Jeep, this year, I made sure all the emission items were in there anyway. :)

And, it will have working headlights, tail lights, brake lights, and signals; horn too.
That's good about the lights and stuff, cause you can still get pulled and fined for stuff. My 78 f150 is legal that I crawl with too. I even have the GM TBI on the 351m controlling the egr valve. That truck had no evap, catalyst, or unleaded fuel restriction stock because gvwr 6001+ was exempt federally in 78[emoji2]

Gas cap installed, unleaded fuel nozzle restrictor ( the smaller hole with the metal flap under the cap), egr, smog pump, catalyst, evap (charcoal) canister, o2 sensor, pcv valve, and thermostatic air cleaner ( the older tube that hooked the air cleaner snorkle to the exhaust heat shield), plus any related parts for the above systems such as solenoids or vacuum hoses if applicable (some cars don't have egr or air pump systems for example. We have to compare what's listed on the emissions sticker under the hood or in our repair manual to determine what's needed.

That's just the visual emissions part, the safety part includes tire tread depth all lights, wipers, steering and braking system, park brake, horn, etc.

Edit: mirrors, exhaust system also part of safety. You got to have a muffler (turbo is considered a muffler) and no leaks.

Jeez! In the 11 years I have been driving I have never had someone pop my hood or check under any of my vehicles.

How would an engine swap be handled? I'd like to run a turbo 3rz in a sami.

That's good about the lights and stuff, cause you can still get pulled and fined for stuff. My 78 f150 is legal that I crawl with too. I even have the GM TBI on the 351m controlling the egr valve. That truck had no evap, catalyst, or unleaded fuel restriction stock because gvwr 6001+ was exempt federally in 78[emoji2]

I don't really expect to drive it anywhere except maybe from the outpost to the trails and dirt roads around Uwharrie so I can be legal there.

If one really wanted to be technical, the sticky tires aren't exactly DOT approved. ;)

Jeez! In the 11 years I have been driving I have never had someone pop my hood or check under any of my vehicles.

How would an engine swap be handled? I'd like to run a turbo 3rz in a sami.
It depends on the shop, my boss who's the only inspector at our shop will not inspect an engine swap unless it's real clean, like someone pulled a 4.3 out and stuck in a 5.7 in an older Chevy for example and everything is there, but I know of several that will pass it if it looks like everything its supposed to have is there. In other words if the sammi had egr the yota needs one (even if there's a bb blocking the vac line so it doesn't work, LOL)

I don't really expect to drive it anywhere except maybe from the outpost to the trails and dirt roads around Uwharrie so I can be legal there.

If one really wanted to be technical, the sticky tires aren't exactly DOT approved. ;)
I promise the ranger dude in ure would ticket you if it didn't have signals and such though! That's why I keep mine legal too. It's nice to drive it to work in the ice since I don't care about body damage on it like I do my new truck! No to mention tuning my TBI system, I like tinkering with it to get it better and better.

It depends on the shop, my boss who's the only inspector at our shop will not inspect an engine swap unless it's real clean, like someone pulled a 4.3 out and stuck in a 5.7 in an older Chevy for example and everything is there, but I know of several that will pass it if it looks like everything its supposed to have is there. In other words if the sammi had egr the yota needs one (even if there's a bb blocking the vac line so it doesn't work, LOL)

I appreciate all the help bud.

/\ I'm with you I've never had someone look for cats or muffler much less what's under the hood
Lots of shops don't especially for regular customers, but sometimes the DMV will show up undercover with an older car with the egr unplugged and the hose plugged with a golf tee or no gas cap to try to trip you up. They also show up with newer cars with no bulb in the check engine light, that's a fail too. Some are obvious, older car with no trash anywhere, glove box and console completely empty besides the registration (which usually has the local high school address LOL). We did see one with DMV painted on the floor near the catalyst too! LOL

I promise the ranger dude in ure would ticket you if it didn't have signals and such though!

Not so sure about that.
Me and @snappy sat and talked to him 2 years ago in my old buggy with no brake lights or turn signals and nothing legal except the tag off the f250 zip tied to the roll cage...actually commented that it was nice to see people started tagging "rock dune buggies"

Not so sure about that.
Me and @snappy sat and talked to him 2 years ago in my old buggy with no brake lights or turn signals and nothing legal except the tag off the f250 zip tied to the roll cage...actually commented that it was nice to see people started tagging "rock dune buggies"
Well he pulled my buddy over with a sammi buggy and wrote him several tickets, and we weren't speeding or anything the sammi was in the middle of a convoy of about 5 rigs, I was leading at 20mph. He got hit for expired tag, broken brake light lens, brake light out, no inspection, no side marker lights and something else. We were headed to the Daniel trailhead from the double parking lot on 553. I figured after that I'd heep everything legal as hell cause the added amount of all those fines was pretty big LOL

Well he pulled my buddy over with a sammi buggy and wrote him several tickets, and we weren't speeding or anything the sammi was in the middle of a convoy of about 5 rigs, I was leading at 20mph. He got hit for expired tag, broken brake light lens, brake light out, no inspection, no side marker lights and something else. We were headed to the Daniel trailhead from the double parking lot on 553. I figured after that I'd heep everything legal as hell cause the added amount of all those fines was pretty big LOL

Was it a holiday weekend? I have made that same run in my Samurai many times which is no longer road legal. I don't go to URE on holiday weekends though.

Back