Flat bed fifthwheel mount

adam greene

i have a buddy with a cm flat bed he's wanting to mount a 5th wheel hitch on it. Is there a way to do it and not have the rails sitting on top of the bed?

B&W gooseneck hitch and b&w companion maybe.

Or B&W turnover ball reciever & Curt X5 adapter plate to your favorite brand 5er hitch..that's what I got goin' on..works great..don't hog your bed all the time.

If it's for a camper he can swap the pin box for a reese goosebox

download (3).jpg

It has a gooseneck ball already dropped down in the bed so I don't think a companion will work.
If it's a b&w gooseneck ball then yes the companion will work. It's designed to slide into the socket that the ball goes in. Once you take the companion out it leaves nothing else in the bed than the regular gooseneck ball does.

I dont know what he's going to pull but if it's just for one trailer I would swap the kingpin for the gooseneck box like pictured above and just use the ball.

He has the goosebox on his old camper but it's rated at 20k and 4K pin weight and he's scared of using it cause the camper dry weight is 18k with a pin of 4k.

All of the companions I've seen are for truck bed where the ball is flush with the bed. On a flat bed most gooseneck balls are recessed 4inches down in the bed

Sounds like a lot of camper for a light duty truck.

Guy that sells Christmas trees in Kernersville bought a brand new voltage toyhauler that was 44' long from affordable rv off hickory tree rd. He pulled it from there to Kernersville with a 2016 f350 drw and said he thought he might die it was so hard for the truck to handle.

He was pissed because ford rated the truck for more than the camper weighed and thought he would be fine. He lives in Sparta and said there was no way he was pulling that thing home with that truck.

He has the goosebox on his old camper but it's rated at 20k and 4K pin weight and he's scared of using it cause the camper dry weight is 18k with a pin of 4k.

All of the companions I've seen are for truck bed where the ball is flush with the bed. On a flat bed most gooseneck balls are recessed 4inches down in the bed

That would be good info to have up front, because the 6 flatbed trucks we've had the gooseneck ball has been flush like a regular bed.

So if the ball is recessed then no the companion won't work.

Guy that sells Christmas trees in Kernersville bought a brand new voltage toyhauler that was 44' long from affordable rv off hickory tree rd. He pulled it from there to Kernersville with a 2016 f350 drw and said he thought he might die it was so hard for the truck to handle.

He was pissed because ford rated the truck for more than the camper weighed and thought he would be fine. He lives in Sparta and said there was no way he was pulling that thing home with that truck.

Maybe he just doesn't know how to handle that big of a load.

something is fishy with that situation. That truck should play with that trailer. I've got a 43' big country fifth wheel with 5 slides and my ram dually plays with it. Trailer is around 16K GVW. That toy hauler might be a bit heavier but not alot. It's tall and long but handles great and my truck has tons of power and the exhaust brake/Aisin tranny stops it with minimal brakes, even downhill coming off a freeway.

something is fishy with that situation. That truck should play with that trailer. I've got a 43' big country fifth wheel with 5 slides and my ram dually plays with it. Trailer is around 16K GVW.

Internet says 16k empty and 3500 pin. That's less than the trailer we pull with a 13yo 3/4t Dodge.

Internet says 16k empty and 3500 pin. That's less than the trailer we pull with a 13yo 3/4t Dodge.

Exactly my point. My trailer is likely a little lighter than the TH mentioned above but there is nothing to pulling it other than making sure there's a good bit of room when changing lanes or turning. That 2016 F350 DRW (or any of the big 3 dually models) should play with any of those 5th wheel campers including the triple axle toy haulers.

I did on post 5. I wouldn trust a longer shank on a companion. I think he's found a commercial grade hitch from Reese for flat bed trucks rated at 30k and 7500 pin
That would be good info to have up front, because the 6 flatbed trucks we've had the gooseneck ball has been flush like a regular bed.

So if the ball is recessed then no the companion won't work.

something is fishy with that situation. That truck should play with that trailer. I've got a 43' big country fifth wheel with 5 slides and my ram dually plays with it. Trailer is around 16K GVW. That toy hauler might be a bit heavier but not alot. It's tall and long but handles great and my truck has tons of power and the exhaust brake/Aisin tranny stops it with minimal brakes, even downhill coming off a freeway.

You can't hide money...:huggy: :driver: :smokin:

Back