LB7 to LBZ

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I absolutely love the 01-02 bullnose look of the Chevy 2500HD trucks and I kinda wanted another diesel, so when I found a very clean 2002 2500HD with a Duramax, I went ahead and snagged it. There's zero rust, only a few cosmetic issues, and the interior was in damn good shape. It's BONE stock, except for a 4" downpipe back exhaust. I did the normal things that I do when I buy any vehicle....change the oil, check all the fluids, air filter, fuel filter, thermostat (in this case, two of them), fresh coolant, etc. Runs great, just smokes at idle and will slowly fill the crankcase up with fuel. Naturally, since it's an LB7, it needs injectors :rolleyes:.

So...I went on the quest of finding out what motor I could put in it that didn't have such a problem. I was also thinking that a 6 speed Allison would be nice vs. the 5 speed.

As luck would have it, the LBZ comes with a 6 speed and I found a company that makes a wiring harness for just such a swap in an 01-02 truck. 03-04 trucks are more or less a plug and play ordeal. I also found an LBZ/6speed Allison/transfer case on Craigslist for 2500 bucks. I'd spend that much on JUST the injectors and a few seals/gaskets to get the job done and there's no telling how long the next set of injectors would last. Not to mention, I could potentially break even by selling the LB7 and 5 speed Allison!

I've heard the power difference is astonishing between the LB7 and LBZ just in stock trim, but I know it won't stay stock for long. I'm looking forward to this project and while it wasn't exactly something I planned before I bought the truck, I think it'll work out for the better in the long run.

If anybody has done this before, feel free to help me out! I'm doing as much research as I can, but can't find a whole lot of pictures. Several people have done it though and I've gathered that I need as much stuff from the LBZ donor truck as I can get my hands on.
20151115_185741.jpg

I agree that the 01-02 Chevys are the best looking ones, and the LBZ 6spd combo is tough to beat for mileage, power, or reliability. Find a way to swap in some ventilated seats and youve got my dream truck! Also, that's a steal on the drivetrain, you should be able to MAKE money swapping parts ( not counting labor of course).

I'll be doing it myself, for sure. I'll probably go ahead and head stud the LBZ, EGR delete, downpipe, and do a water pump while it's out of the truck. It'd be easiest!

I've already got a guy wanting the transmission for a spare.

I hate that LB7s have such crappy injectors. They're very solid motors otherwise!

Leave it to Craigslist....it was another LB7. Still on the lookout for one though!

Craig is a real dumbass sometimes.

Good looking truck, i too agree with you on that body style.

Nice looking truck. Its my favorite body style too. Wish I could find a low mileage one with the 8.1

I wouldn't mind getting an 8.1 and dropping a stroker kit in it and making a torque monster! It'd never get the mileage of an LB7, but it'd be badass nonetheless. :D

Back