Any one have a toy hauler

You make a very good point my main problem with that would be the maintenance that's a bunch of tires and a 12 year old rv I trust my tundra I drive it every day I'm not sure I want to make my longest trips in a vehicle that gets used so little I feel like that's asking for problems all that being said that thing sure is nice and I may look into that option as well

You are correct. but you have almost as many tires with a trailer too. If you don't want something sitting long, then use it more often. Many ppl use covers and jacks to assist with tire life.

Just like any other vehicle, drive it to the store on occasion to keep things fresh. A friend has one and uses it for things other than camping. When he has to go on a trip with the family (kids/elders) that is longer than a few hrs or so, they will drive the RV so that no one has to stop for food/bathroom.

One of the company's make a line of toyhauler 5vers with garages for cars. Think they have a model with a 20' garage but camper is about 45' long and gvwr of about 22k I think.

I Think they are the work and play models. Might have a scaled down travel trailer design.

Had time to look it up. Forest River makes the work and play models. Just a quick browse and the 24fbw has a 14' garage with 6400# cargo capacity with a gvwr of 13400#. Might could handle that with the tundra?

Ya to much weight 11k is max towing and I don't want the truck to be maxed out going through the moutains class c is probly my best option just not really what I wanted to do

I'm looking at a company called dune sports out of Phoenix az they custom make toy haulers and can give me a 14 foot garage in a trailer as small as 20 ft and still keep all the crap that will make my wife happy they can to a double thick floor and what ever axles I want and heavy duty ramp door it comes with 2 5200 axles and depending on what I get dry weight will be between 4500 and 6k price and warranty seems to be on par with the bigger company's and you can pick out every single thing for your camper and layout it's a really cool idea 9nly thing that sucks is its 2000 miles away but that's just a reason to do some west cost weelin lol

So plans changed again found a deal on a super light truck camper and pulled the trigger picking it up Friday I'm going to use it to gauge the family's Intrest in camping it will be great for me to take to the beach and harlan

uploadfromtaptalk1436453829283.jpg

best of both worlds; my first slide-in was a soft side sunlite like that one, good view / ventilation.

Shower/head on board ?

yeah, me too. the sun lite I had was older and didn't have either.

...sold it, made a few $$ and found a hard side for my sb (shower in head = happy wife)... no difference in mpg (I always am towing the rig on a trailer)

good luck,; enjoy it

For reference, our trailer, fully loaded for the weekend with the Jeep in it (basically a stock TJ, for all intents and purposes) has about 6000-6500# of total cargo weight.

What IS your trailer Shawn? (brand/model)

I saw it this weekend and really like it. (We were down the hill from you guys)

Last edited:
I'm going to do some upgrades and mods to this and then sell it. I've got a bigger plan.
I'm going to get a 20-25' 5th wheel camper with slides, take the frame out from under it and build a stronger one. A stronger one that has 15' flat deck out back and tandem duals.

Back