Cleaning Aluminum Rims

adman02

I recently picked up some vintage 80s turbine rims for my CJ. They are badly oxidized. Any advice on how to clean them? I've read that oven cleaner works, but that seems extreme. Any advice or ideas?

If they are just polished aluminum you can buy aluminum polish from the car parts store And go to town on them. But if they are clearcoated, you'll have to strip it,polish, and recoat.

Alumabright! Wet wheels, spray on a solution of alumabright/water, rinse off. Made a set of old "mag" style wheels that sat in my parents basement from 1990/91 till I put them back on the truck in 2008/09. Stuff is the tits in my humble opinion.

We sell aluminum brighter at my work it's about $22 a gal and it can be diluted 6oz per gal of water we can also ship it to you if you can't find a local dealer it's made by maxim Products it's called thumbs up aluminum brightener it's the best u can find we sell it to Marinas for cleaning pontoon boats

Kick acid from majestic Solutions is the best stuff to use. I use it with my side job of detailing cars. I guarantee you it will work. Spray on and rinse off in 30 seconds. One rim at a time. Works amazing.

So with these acids do you have to then polish afterwards. Just curious as I need to pick something up to clean the wheels on my Jeep.
Yes it will just take all the oxidation off kind of makes it look white but I will need to be repolished to make them shine again

I've used "Busch's Aluminum Polish". Tarheel 4wd sells it. It's the best stuff I've used for Alloy wheels. Maybe start with one of the sprays to help get the wheels cleaner, then finish up with this wheel polish. It's the best stuff I've used. All of the parts store cleaners suck in comparison.

Back