Gauges..

Cheap tablet and lifeproof case.

Torque pro app

$27 amazon Bluetooth obd2 adapter.

Or get an aldl to USB cable to run from obd2 port to tablet, and get any of the many programs available to scan, graph, view, datalog any and all sensor data.

Going to be 10x more useful that just a standard gauge set, but is limited to what sensors are hooked to your ECM and harness and what is enabled/disabled in the tune.

After all you will still have lowrance for speed, even with no VSS.

Then set up program with tach, oil, water, volt, vacuum, tps, map, maf whatever values you want.

I like the idea of a tablet for diagnosis but don't like it for full time use. That's why I don't like the race pak setup.

However, I did find a gateway that will take the OBD2 and convert to NMEA2k for a reasonable $550. So, whatever sensor input I can get to the LS ECM, it can be converted to NMEA 2k and thus to the Lowrance gauges.

In theory, I could have 1 Lowrance gauge and just scroll through each screen for each sensor. While this isn't really practical, it makes it easy to view and monitor everything without a physical gauge for every sensor. I would just pick the top 4 or 5 sensors that I want to see on a regular basis and keep the rest hidden but available by simply scrolling through the gauge screens.

So, the Lowrance gauges seem to be a more viable option at a moderately reasonable price.

The next step is to see how many sensors I can get the ECM to read.

I can get speed direct from the GPS
Water temp
Oil pressure
Engine oil temp
Trans temp will be tricky but the a stock IAT sensor has the same range as trans temp and the ECM can read it, so I'd need to install it in the TH350 wherever I want. The ECM will likely need some programming work to pick up the new IAT/trans temp sensor.
I can add fuel flow and pressure pretty easy with Lowrance sensors
Fuel level is pretty easy with the Lowrance sensor that works on a standard marine sending unit, which I haven't looked for yet. I'm hoping I will find a sending unit that will work like I need.

So, 3 3/8" gauge is $215 for speed (or any others I select on the menu buttons)
2 1/8" gauges are $155 each. I'm likely just getting 2 of those and primarily run oil pressure and water temp on the smaller ones and scroll through to look at trans temp, oil temp, fuel level, tach, etc.
I may consider a 3rd small gauge to use it for scrolling other readings or keeping it set on trans temp.

So it's looking promising for the Lowrance setup but still just over the $1k mark.

You need to rethink your IAT at TT thoughts.
If you read IAT, it will factor into the fuel curves. If you tell your engine you are feeding it 200F air it will adjust fuel/timing accordingly.
If you "program out" IAT you give it a static value in the tune and that is what will be displayed.

YOUR ECM has a value for TT. Use the right sender in the TH350 and feed it to the TT pin out location. Dont make this too hard.

The Lowrance gauges are ok..but Ive heard they arent great for readability.
I wouldnt (personally) get half pregnant here. Id either run a CAN unigauge set up or Id run traditional mechanical gauges.

You need to rethink your IAT at TT thoughts.
If you read IAT, it will factor into the fuel curves. If you tell your engine you are feeding it 200F air it will adjust fuel/timing accordingly.
If you "program out" IAT you give it a static value in the tune and that is what will be displayed.

YOUR ECM has a value for TT. Use the right sender in the TH350 and feed it to the TT pin out location. Dont make this too hard.

The 350 doesn't have a "correct" TT sensor to work with the ECM and the electronic trans sensors are internal. A sensor that the ECM can read and that has the correct temp range is an IAT but will be used as a TT and pinned accordingly.

image.jpg

Im not 100% sold on the Lowrance setup but I do like the versatility and how they can work with my setup and easy setup. I also have one single cable to disconnect that feeds all gauges. Pretty simple and clean. Also, they integrate well with my GPS.

I'm still curious how well the custom gateway will work without having constant bugs

I just talked to Jim's Performance and it looks like the 02 and older ECMs have zero provisions to read oil pressure. Guess I could just run the Lowrance oil oressure sensor.

The 03 and newer ECMs do read oil pressure but also have DBW provisions and it's not easy or practical to figure out how to make it DBC. Making the buggy DBW would be easy but I'd need new programming, a new TB, and an electronic pedal. I'm already really limited with space where the pedals are located so that option is at the bottom of the list.

The other option is to use an 04 GTO ECM as it had a DBC TB and has provisions for oil pressure. But, I would still need a new tune.

So many decisions... :lol:

For the trans temp, I could also is a CTS in lieu of a IAT as it already has 3/8" NPT threads and is made for liquid contact where the IAT isn't. I'd need one for a 90 Camaro with tuned port and it will work great. Just feed it into pin 51 and ground it and I'm all set. I'd just have to install a bung on the oil pan. :D

Here's another thing to consider: Defi (Japan) makes a product line that can do OBD2 and inputs from analog sensors, and sends data to digital gauges. And can link to a smartphone. All the pieces are modular and are sold separately, so you buy the smartphone/OBD2 link, and the gauges, and the gauge controller with the analog inputs. It's a bit of money all together because the gauges are expensive, but it's supposedly very easy to use. Can't say the type of connectors look especially rugged for moisture and dust, so I don't know how it will work for general wheeling....

SMART ADAPTER W Summary
ADVANCE Control Unit Specifications

awww.defi_shop.com_media_saw_connection6_e.png

They also make normal analog input gauges, which is how I know them. Their analog gauges match the factory Subaru gauges quite nicely.

Here's another thing to consider: Defi (Japan) makes a product line that can do OBD2 and inputs from analog sensors, and sends data to digital gauges. And can link to a smartphone. All the pieces are modular and are sold separately, so you buy the smartphone/OBD2 link, and the gauges, and the gauge controller with the analog inputs. It's a bit of money all together because the gauges are expensive, but it's supposedly very easy to use. Can't say the type of connectors look especially rugged for moisture and dust, so I don't know how it will work for general wheeling....

SMART ADAPTER W Summary
ADVANCE Control Unit Specifications

View attachment 195825

They also make normal analog input gauges, which is how I know them. Their analog gauges match the factory Subaru gauges quite nicely.

...or download torqe pro from app store

View attachment 195685 View attachment 195686
or go minimalist, programable to read anything your ECM supports thru OBD2/CAN
ScanGauge2 with XGauge 5x2", mount in a water proof enclosure, buttons can scroll thru multiple gauges supported by ECM ( will do fuel pressure if your ECM supports it)
TFT is trans temp on my Tacoma that had to be programed in.
Could also get an Ultra Gauge, cheaper and has a larger display with all the same features.

...or download torqe pro from app store

...but then you have no native ability to input analog signals from sensors that the ECM doesn't have attached. If everything you need can be pulled from the OBD2 port, you're good to go with many different options.

...but then you have no native ability to input analog signals from sensors that the ECM doesn't have attached. If everything you need can be pulled from the OBD2 port, you're good to go with many different options.

So get one auto meter oil pressure gauge for the dash, and scan gauge, torque pro etc.

Ollie's has android tablets for $97. Then $20 for torque pro, $30 for bt adapter or aldl cable, $150 is still cheaper than scan gauge, host of gauges, japan stuff above, racepak, megasquirt, or lowrance options.

If anything then, just wire some idiot led lights for water temp, trans temp, fuel pressure, only have oil pressure on dash, and keep tablet in fancy case, in storage for when you want/need it.

I'm either going with a few Auto Meter/VDO gauges or the Lowrance setup. I just haven't decided just yet. I'm either spending $600 with traditional gauges for most of what I want or $1100 with Lowrance for all of what I want plus even more.

I just purchased a full complement of gauges, 6- 2" with magnified lens ,oil p, water t, trans t, tach, volt, fuel level. All stepper motors with pigtails to daisy chain everything together, also purchased a couple dummy lights with senders from Longacre. Bill from glow shift with free shipping-$442.00, dummy lights for oil p and water t from jegs for $50. $400 cheaper than my racepak 5 years ago. Ordered Monday 11am, emails from glow and ups by 1230, that they had shipped, received wed by 2 pm.

They do have proprietary senders but, if one goes bad, it's usually a month or two before I get to ride again. May still order the fuel pressure gauge, I have on on the ls2 rail but would like to read from the cockpit to alert of any drops. These motors are sensitive to drops and spikes differing from 58 psi. $90 is cheap insurance.

View attachment 195870

View attachment 195871

View attachment 195872

Edit: Just realized the elite 10's have hi/lo warning and recall built in, visual and audible, I may send my max tows back for exchange, but I do like the dual readout of the maxes.

Back