Alltech Motorsports East Coast Shock Tuning Session: Sept 25th-27th

REDLYNER

Mall Crawling Race Rig
Alltech Motorsports (teamed up with Fox) is making a trip to the East Coast to bring their talents to anyone who wants to sign up! Your brand of shock doesn't matter! If you are running off the shelf shocks untuned, you probably aren't tapping into half of the performance you could be.

I have been incredibly fortunate to get to tune with these guys at King of the Hammers, they made my car feel like a Cadillac on the rocks and the desert. We need a few more signups for them to confirm the trip due to a couple of people having to cancel. You can PM me, or contact Alltech direct with the info below.

Tuning info I have so far:

Ahland, Va area September 25-27th.

Closest city is Richmond. It is about 25 miles northwest of the City. Closest hotels are in Ashland Va about 15 miles from the property. Plenty of hotels and places to eat.

Course is aprox 1.4 miles and will have a few whoops sections to really dial it in.

If you are interested in getting signed up.

Email tuning@alltechmotorsports.com and indicate what day are you interested in.

Include in the email
- a brief description of your vehicle
- intended use (race, trail, street, mall, etc)
- brand of shocks you are on
- contact information (name and phone number)
- desired date

Read Wayne's spring theory thread on Pirate, and get the correct springs first, that way Wayne and alltech can focus on valving.

Wayne posted the info to get the right springs, so he can spend more time tuning, and less time swapping springs.

If I had my stuff together, I'd for sure be there. Alltech (Wayne) is the go to guy for getting suspensions setup right.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...1.html#/forumsite/21027/topics/1074029?page=1

Last edited:
Here is the post with the math to take your current springs and preload and find out the "correct" springs

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/14505838-post85.html

And here is a slightly "simplified" version.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/14506404-post89.html

To quote Wayne, it takes 20% of the time to get the rig to 80%, and another 80% of time to get the last 20%. For most wheelers without dedicated race cars, that 80% is a far improvement over out of the box valving and most likely good enough for most.

Last edited:
Don't quote me, but IIRC, price was around $375 for group sessions, and $600 for private tuning days.

Again don't quote me, just going off memory.

I'm curious what current actual pricing is as well?

I'll find out some more details asap.

Just confirmed with Wayne: $400 per car.

Let me know if anyone is serious. We only need a few more to lock it in.

Money well spent. Tuned with Wayne in may, much to my surprise he claimed I had the tuning to 80% already, and we worked it up to about 85% in 3 short runs. I'll say it again, have your springs right upon arrival. You will get much more for your money in tuning rather than swapping/buying springs while there. Take a friend or two to make shock removal/install much faster=equals more valving time for you're money. Side note- listen closely to Wayne, he is a willing teacher, you will learn more in 3 hours than you will in thousands of hours perusing the Internet. Definetly read the spring tech thread a couple 7-8 times. ...

Here is a quote from my thread in desert racing on pirate after Wayne's tuning session.

We did have a good day at a relaxed pace both Matt and Benihana were up to speed and working hard yet having fun as soon as we started. Matt had done his home work making my job easy and was as prepared as anyone I have ever worked with. Dylan "Benihana" was a blast working hard then at lunch time promising the best grilled cheese ever then using Honey butter instead of regular butter and forgetting the cheese until they were a bit well done I would say. I ate them anyway and his Stir Fry (hence the AKA Benihana) at dinner was really good so made up for it. I'm still sore from trying to keep up with teenagers throwing the football but it was a great time.

uploadfromtaptalk1439310860785.jpg

Link to thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2023274

I was fortunate to tune by myself with Wayne. Plus we spent two days just hanging out. Great guy, ass loads of experience. I'm ready to tune again in the future. I'll be at Dixie run for this session. But I well catch him again in the spring.

Coilovers are fantastic. ...IF you invest the time to get them right! !! If your going to spend thousands to purchase/install, why not spend a little extra to get the best performance possible out of them? Don't expect to buy a set with a factory tune and over the phone recommended springs and have top of the line performance. ...

Last edited:
Don't know if Wayne would allow, or if anyone else for that matter,

But I'm volunteering to come and help.

I can throw my engine hoist and some jack stands, receiver hitch vise, and n2 bottle and fill kit in the truck.

Richmond is about 2 hours from me, but I would definitely trade helping out, for being able to watch and learn whatever I can.

I also have a bunch of plastic/tarps and a couple ez-ups.

Not speaking for Wayne, and not sure if he monitors Nc4x4, but the quicker everything is removed/installed, the more beneficial your session will be. I'm not sure if they're driving, bringing their trailer and/or gear, I think they're using Rob Matzell's equipment. But the more self efficient each "car/team" is the smoother the session will go.

I brought everything; shims, tools, oil, rags, n2, extra springs, impacts, torque wrench, micrometers, jacks, plywood, stands, because i knew he was flying out without tools. Only thing I forgot was a drill bit & set screws for modifying bleed on the piston. Also don't forget red lock tight, like I did, in case the shock eye comes lose during shim change. If your real diligent, I was due to my OCD, bring a vise and soft jaws.

Last edited:
On a side note, one of the neatest things Wayne taught me while we were harnessing in, due to my stiff harnesses. Pour fabric softener on your harnesses after washing buggy. Let dry. They're soft as fleece afterwards and much easier to adjust. Simple I know, but never crossed my mind.

Plus they smell rosy fresh. ...[emoji257]

But the more self efficient each "car/team" is the smoother the session will go.

Wait.... I was under the impression that I'm driving a few laps, then brought over to the clubhouse whilst my car is made faster. Then notified accordingly of its improvements.

I think that treatment is reserved for the flat billers and mall crawlers who have never busted knuckles wrenching they're own junk. ..my bill is curved...[emoji109]
[emoji41]

Whew. I was worried for a second there ;-).

But in all seriousness, if 2 or 3 guys from the board commit, the tuning session is locked in for a go. And to echo Mcutler- the learning experience is life time. Wayne has been in so many different setups he (in my experience) was able to compare me and tune me against setups very similar and gauge my progress accordingly.

He also completely changed how I test and tune on my own.

One last tidbit, for those who may disbelief/disagree with the spring tech thread. This theory doesn't just work for go fast stuff, also fantastic for technical trailriding. Wayne has tuned many big names on the right coast for our style of wheeling, including some of the top podium YouTube heroes of rock bouncing.

Want to go just have to see if 8 can slip out of work on saterday if there is a Friday or Sunday time I'm in for sure

Just talked to Wayne on the phone the guy is super nice I'm in for Friday I think we still need 1 or 2 more

What an awesome day tuning yesterday with Wayne.

Had an absolute blast working on @karatejosh buggy making huge Improvements on the ride quality.

Learned a lot and had a great time hanging out with Wayne, Josh, and the guys from Matzell Motorsports.

Between My dad @moldman05 Russ, my fiancé, myself, and josh, we could pull all the shocks off in about 10 minutes.

Not sure how many times we pulled the shocks, at least 8 maybe?

Wayne definitely is the man, not only can he watch the buggy and see exactly what it needs, but just listen to the exhaust note, when the buggy is out of sight, to understand how the throttle is applied, to know what adjustments to make.

Hope it's going well today.

We definitely lucked out with the weather yesterday with only a few intermittent sprinkles all day, and no intense heat.

It..... Is..... NASTY! Rained all night and half of today, but Wayne does his magic rain or shine.

Still out here:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back