ATV electrical short problems...

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Ok. I bought a new battery for the atv and fired it up. Ran great.

Put the strap on the battery and let it run a couple minutes.

Then, it cut off and never was to start again. I was puzzled. Life's the seat and the positive cable was shorting out on the battery hold down bracket.

Got everything disconnected and charged the battery back up. Checked all fuses and they seem OK. But, now not starting. No power to anything.

Maybe burned up the ignition solenoid?

Something else?

I'm not very familiar with this machine so anyone that has experience or maybe has some good insight, let me know.

Thanks.

Check all the cables really well every time I have had that happen that was the case you should be able to jump the solenoid out with a screw driver to test it

My grizzlys have several fuses and relays on them. Maybe something that simple.

One of mine wouldn't charge and wound up being the harness running to the rectifier had shorted out on the frame. Seemed to be a common issue among different brands and models when I searched the web. Maybe whats causing your issue.

This was a one time thing. The cable started smoking right at the positive battery terminal where it shorted out on the hold down.

I guess I'm wondering what components it could have messes up in the process?

has to have blown an inline fuse somewhere or melted a fusible link.
If the battery cable shorted to the frame the entire circuit that saw the damage current was

[POS Terminal] -> [+ Cable] -> [Frame Short] -> [- Cable] -> [NEG Terminal]

if it isnt in that loop it aint damaged

Big bear 400

The short was on the positive cable right at the battery. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I put the hold down on with the new battery and shorted it out.

Other than the spot the size of a pencil eraser that shorted out on the positive cable, I can't find any damage anywhere. I have looked at all the fuses under the seat and they were all fine.

Not being an electrical guru, I'm at a loss unless there are some fuses somewhere that I didn't find yet.

So how much do you want for it now?

Same $. It has a brand new $100 AGM battery. Lol

Just trying to figure out what would be causing the non starting since I thought I looked at all the fuses.

When I turn the key on, the ignition light doesn't even turn on anymore. Spent the day on the boat at the beach. I'll tinker with it Monday evening.

Back