Building a Shop on a budget...(My Shop Project Build)

have to love framing.. makes it seem like you are making fast progress.. even though I know it will slow down a bunch after this.

plumbers came and did some more in basement but I guess they cant measure very well as they were off by about 2.5' so they need to redo that
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8088.jpg

the guys got all the joists up and second floor layed down
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8086.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8089.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8092.jpg

and that outside wall looks HUGE just sitting there by itself
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8087.jpg

and lastly my view this am from current kitchen window
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8095.jpg

I have to admit it does make coming home fun to see more and more done each day

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8113.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8114.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8115.jpg

new roof line.. and my son found the ladder :)
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8118.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8111.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8112.jpg

The guys got the roof on and all the walls enclosed.. waiting on windows to show up and also plan to start the inside wall framing today or tomorrow

we also got the steel supports in place that hold the steel beam up so now we can start framing the downstairs

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8121.jpg

Here is the back of the house
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8125.jpg

new garage side
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8127.jpg

new roof line from the street.. we are very happy that you really cant see a lot of the new addition to the house since the trees block 80% of it

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8129.jpg

I know it may be the obvious thing to say. Make sure you prewire that for anything you can think of wanting ( Surround Sound, Outdoor speakers, Network, cable jacks ). It's so much easier to think ahead while it's in framing, even if it's future use / resell results. I have every type of wire, if you need any you are welcome to it.

I know it may be the obvious thing to say. Make sure you prewire that for anything you can think of wanting ( Surround Sound, Outdoor speakers, Network, cable jacks ). It's so much easier to think ahead while it's in framing, even if it's future use / resell results. I have every type of wire, if you need any you are welcome to it.

X2. I would put atleast 2 outlets and 1 coax/t6 jack on each wall.

Absolutely! I love my new double wide and it has electrical outlets something like every 6 feet or so, that part is fantastic. However, the only coax jack is in the built in entertainment center in the living room. One in each bedroom would have been nice.... What I really want to do is recessed coax jacks so it can be hidden behind the TV when mounted on the wall. However, if I do eventually hang a TV in my bedroom, it'll probably just be for Netflix. It seems like all of the new Smart TVs are WiFi ready, so I wouldn't even have to bother with it. Just plug it in and connect to the WiFi :D

It's nice that you didn't have to use pre-fab trusses. I bet it was a lot cheaper without them, huh? How old is that house? Looks late 70s-ish. How many sq ft will is be once you're done?

What kind of beams are the ridge beam and the headers? Those look perfect for my upcoming build. I don't want to use trusses because I want to keep it low and lean and use all of the available interior height.

Absolutely! I love my new double wide and it has electrical outlets something like every 6 feet or so, that part is fantastic. However, the only coax jack is in the built in entertainment center in the living room. One in each bedroom would have been nice.... What I really want to do is recessed coax jacks so it can be hidden behind the TV when mounted on the wall. However, if I do eventually hang a TV in my bedroom, it'll probably just be for Netflix. It seems like all of the new Smart TVs are WiFi ready, so I wouldn't even have to bother with it. Just plug it in and connect to the WiFi :D

It's nice that you didn't have to use pre-fab trusses. I bet it was a lot cheaper without them, huh? How old is that house? Looks late 70s-ish. How many sq ft will is be once you're done?

Yes built the beams on site so we can keep the low roof look to match existing house. House is 1955. The house will be around 2300 when done.

What kind of beams are the ridge beam and the headers? Those look perfect for my upcoming build. I don't want to use trusses because I want to keep it low and lean and use all of the available interior height.

The beams used in garage are 18" by 22' we put 5 nailed together then drilled and bolted them all together. The roof line are 14" by 22' we put 3 up there.

All are laminated wood beams

We took a 2 week vacation which was awesome and much needed..

but now we are back and I am gonna stay on GC to keep this going.

they did get a bunch of work done while we were gone.
Finished all outside on new addition, ripped out kitchen and finished all interior framing.. plumbing is 50% done and new HVAC is 50% done. the electrician should be starting this week which means within a week or two we should have all permits done and then we can start insulation and sheet rock

exterior done
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8608.jpg

looking into new master
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8616.jpg

awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8617.jpg

crapper room
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8619.jpg

shower
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8620.jpg

wifes new closet
awww.impaks.com_images_ken_941_IMG_8621.jpg

How big is that closet? :lol:

Full disclosure, mine is about 4.5'x10' but also IKEA.

How big is that closet? :lol:

Full disclosure, mine is about 4'x10' but also IKEA.

It is only 9.6' by 12.6' :)

She said my closet(garage) is 24x36' so we are equal :)

I highly recommend insulating outboard of that ductwork. You want to avoid putting the air handler and/or ductwork in a 130F attic.

:lol: Good for her. There's a lot of window in there, too.

If it weren't for IKEA, mine would easily fill 8'x8'

I highly recommend insulating outboard of that ductwork. You want to avoid putting the air handler and/or ductwork in a 130F attic.

yup entire attic space will be insulated when done

Don't forget the insulation has to be inspected before you sheetrock or inspector will MAKE you take the sheetrock back down. That is if this will be "heated addition"? The most stupid inspection there ever was if you ask me...

But regardless, after insulation is signed off you only need building final before the lights can come on.

My brother-in-law just did a sheetrock job last week in Raleigh that had to be taken down to be put back up.

Looking good though!

Don't forget the insulation has to be inspected before you sheetrock or inspector will MAKE you take the sheetrock back down. That is if this will be "heated addition"? The most stupid inspection there ever was if you ask me...

But regardless, after insulation is signed off you only need building final before the lights can come on.

My brother-in-law just did a sheetrock job last week in Raleigh that had to be taken down to be put back up.

Looking good though!

HVAC and plumber were onsite this AM hoping to get there rough in done today.. then electrician can start and get his part done then we will ask for 4 inspections.. framing, plumbing, electricial, HVAC and if that is all good we will insulate and then get that inspected.. keeping fingers we get to the sheetrock stage quick

Insulation inspector just looks to see that it "has" been installed. They don't make sure it's installed well, or even correctly.

Also, UNFACED INSULATION ONLY. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Insulation inspector just looks to see that it "has" been installed. They don't make sure it's installed well, or even correctly.

Also, UNFACED INSULATION ONLY. No ifs, ands, or buts.

It's a tad more involved. I've failed Insulation Inspections twice now the first go round. Don't know about Shawn's experiences with Wake County but they crawled the attics with a flashlight every time I did an insulation job. It was the same guy who did the Electrical Inspections though on every job.
Be sure every draft hole has fire proof insulation being what they look to get you on. And that crap is like $8 per can and empties extremely fast. Make sure it's fire proof (it has an orange die color in it to represent FP) for the cheap stuff is hell digging back out of smaller holes. Ask me how I know...

I've never heard of unfaced used in walls? Not that I don't believe for anything is possible I guess but how is that accomplished? Plus I may be wrong but I thought the moisture barrier was the importance of the insulation from an inspector's standpoint?

Oh yea, when you have a stud wall in front of block (like you have) you have to put the Styrofoam sheets in there against the block first. They made me do that. Sorry I'm late but at least I warned you before the initial call.

Keep us informed on how "easy" the insulation inspection goes on this job. I'm extremely curious if they are just trying to push me around for not having a contractors license?

Back