Tow rig tires

adam greene

I have a 2nd gen cummins I'm thinking of getting some 3rd gen 17inch wheels and wanting a good at or mt tire that will last and looks good. I recently found bf Goodrich has a new at tire out called the ko2. I can't find much reviews on them since they are fairly new. Does anyone have any reviews on these or any other tire looking at either a 285 70 17 maybe a 35 not sure exactly yet

These are the new bfg at ko2 I like the way they look. I found a couple reviews on them at tire rack but most only had a thousand miles. One said they were wearing fast but to me the tread looks about the same as the old bfg at and they wore pretty good
image.jpg

I have 285/75/16 at ko's. They are 2 yrs old and have 23k miles. Load range e.

6/32 of tread remaining. 17/32 new.

I had great luck with BFg a/t's before, no flats and great wear, but this set is wearing fast. I won't buy bfgs again for the tow rig.

I have always had good luck with toyo tires. I am currently running a set of their open country r/t a cross between an a/t and a m/t , in 35 - 12.50 - 17 on 3rd gen wheels. They are holding up great right now still look new but they only have 10,000 miles so far.

I am using the Hankook . They seem to wear well and have a very high capacity for E rated tire

I have 285/75/16 at ko's. They are 2 yrs old and have 23k miles. Load range e.

6/32 of tread remaining. 17/32 new.

I had great luck with BFg a/t's before, no flats and great wear, but this set is wearing fast. I won't buy bfgs again for the tow rig.

I have a set of the BFG AT KOs that are bald and less than a year old, loads range E on my F350. I think I have about 40k mikes in them. I've been pretty religious about rotating but they just haven't lasted like I'm used to.

It's time for a new set and am looking. I'd be interested in what the KO2 reviews and tread life expectancy are

I had originally ordered the AT3 but the tire shop ordered the HT by accident. Ended up getting the BFG ATs for the same price as the Coopers and they came with a $50 mail in rebate. OK!

May go back to the AT3 now given the tread wear I received from the BFG.

I think the Coopers AT3 is a 60k mile tire. Not bad for load E truck tires.

I've yet to see the BFGs get decent life on a bigger truck. A friends Duramax would only last 30k

The newer ones no, the older ones yes, and I'm not talking ko2.

I mean Kelly salary TSR last 30k on a duramax, I had expected the bfgs to do better.

Discount tire will honor the warranty and I will get credit on a new set of whatever I want, but I'm not sure what to get.

I hate Michelin ltx m/s they suck at speed and have problems in wet grass.

I'm expecting to get a credit in the $430 range.

Toyo/Nitto. Picking up two new front tires on Monday to replace Terra Grapplers bought in 2011.

I've been in the tire business at every level over the last 13 years. There isn't a tire that is clearly a better performer across all levels in a single line. In a standard OEM size, in a all terrain pattern- there are only a few options. That's what the original poster asked for, the Duragrappler and KO2 closely fall into the H/T type tread pattern. If you are going that route I would stick with Transforce from Firestone. If you want anything larger than a 33/285 or more aggressive tread pattern your options fall off quickly. I manage a tire distribution center for a large company and I ride with reps from sales to manufacturing every day, from every manufacturer and I sit in on the warranty adjustments as well as dealing with dealers who install them and monitor them every day. Take this advice for what you will. Everyone has an opinion.

We run transforce on our work vans and trucks. All of the 1\2 3\4 and one ton trucks the dot run use the transforce tire as well. They wear great, ride good and take a beating like only a company vehicle can get.

I ran the general grabber red letters on my ram and was very happy with the tire on road, off road, and towing. Got about 35k out of those with only one rotate but they all wore out at the same rate. Been through Two sets of Michelin ltx stock size tires on my other ram 2500 and they wear very quickly. Great grip on pavement and tow nice but even in 4wd I sometimes have trouble pushing my empty gooseneck back up into its spot if it's wet. The grabbers would have done it in 2wd with an open rear diff. I might go Firestone next time around or procomp at's have a good warranty so I hear.

For ATs I'm a cooper at3 fan boy. 97 dodge 2500 gasser with 315/75/16s, 78 f150 with 315/75/16, 73 f250 235/85/16 and have talked a few people into them. Great price, great tire. Now that being said on my 06 cummins I had to think long and hard for tires. The problem with the 17s in my opinion is your weight rating goes way down on them in the 315 size. I had a set of BFGS on the truck when I bought it and I would max out the tire weight by hooking up my trailer. So I decided to drop down to 285s in the Nitto Duragrappler. For a truck that is tow only this tire rocks. Great mileage out of them for what they are on, ride good, do ok in the snow and rain and for a highway tire when you get them in a 285 they look pretty darn beefy.

Make sure you look at the weight ratings, not just the load but the no kidding lbs. and do the math. My next go around ill step up to 18" wheels and go with 35 12.50 18s to get a better weight rating in an AT and have the more aggressive tread vs. the dura. Just something else to think about before you make a 1200$ mistake.

18s are $$$$$ though! Too bad 19.5s don't have a good selection of treads and sizes...mostly widths. Everything is narrow as hell.

I've enjoyed my new KO2 on the F350. Had them a month or so and they seem to doing well.

285 75 r18 load range E. or something like that.

Anyone run the toyo mt's? What sort of miles are you getting out of these?

Anyone run the toyo mt's? What sort of miles are you getting out of these?

Mileage is entirely dependent on how you use your tires. I get less mileage out of the rears, not least of all because there is 2k# more weight on them than the fronts.

Anybody that gets 60k out of a set of "mud" tires never hauls anything and drives like a grandma. :flipoff2:

I got 80,000 out of my duragraplers, I have the terragraplers now, they do good but after 4,000 miles towing, the rears are wearing quick.

Back