DMV inspection on a trailer?

benmack1

I just got a new fifth wheel camper. I got the first registration and license plate in the mail this week and noticed my registration says I have an inspection due by 7/31/16 next year for renewal. I have never had this before on a trailer. Not sure if a camper is different or the weight of this thing makes it different. THe trailer is 16K GVWR and categorized as trailer with living quarters or something. I am not even sure my normal inspection places will know what to do with this thing. I'll call the DMV this week and seek clarity but wondered if anyone on here has experience with campers and tag renewal regarding inspection requirements (or not).

I know there has been trailer inspection for a long time but has never really been enforced. That being said, I have no idea who inspects trailers.

It seems to be titled correctly, categorized as 'CT' under style which stands for camping trailer. Also has private/Tlr with sleeping quarters on the registration. The plate is a trailer plate. Not a big deal as I have a full year to worry about it, but thought it was odd. I guess they check lights, brakes and tires. What the hell else is there on a trailer to check, especially a new one?

I haven't checked, but was thinking it was only if it was used for commercial or "for hire", use. Can't recall a private trailer being inspected.
Plus, like k5 says, who's looking? Unless it gets tied to tag renewal, like our vehicles are.

Man up and pay the one time $75 fee for a multi year tag...no renewals.
Nothing else to add regarding inspections, I am curious though.

I would love to.....not available for campers. Both my other trailers have permanent plates....and it's about $90 now for the permanent plate fyi.

Sounds like your registration is f'd up. Campers are supposed to be exempt from inspection requirements. NCGS 20-183.2. See also NCGS 20-4.01 for definition of a House Trailer.

Just spoke with the DMV. Registration looks fine, classified correct and looks OK on their end. They said I will NOT need an inspection to renew. This is a year out so nothing really I can do at the moment to fix anything if it is a problem. The guy told me to call back next year if there is a problem and they can override. Somehow I suspect I'll be calling them back in a year but so be it. They are unaware of any requirement for an inspection on a trailer. We'll let it ride and resurrect this post in a year when all hell breaks loose. I've had a couple things that have been messed up with registrations in the past so nothing would surprise me. Had a diesel mercedes 300D that was listed as a gasser that I thought was going to be a whole circus to get right and was happy to find that just a call to the home office found a competent lady that just checked the box and I was good to go. The folks at the plate offices were lets just say not quite as competent. I think the folks the USPS rejects take jobs at the carrboro DMV plate office, but I digress.....

Maybe, just Maybe,you got something like my 35th. year renewal on my CJ. Inspection is exempt, but was still showing on my registration card. I called DMV, & they said ignore it. It drop off the next year. I renewed on-line, & went right through, with out any inspection.

Maybe, just Maybe,you got something like my 35th. year renewal on my CJ. Inspection is exempt, but was still showing on my registration card. I called DMV, & they said ignore it. It drop off the next year. I renewed on-line, & went right through, with out any inspection.

We can only hope. It is crazy how disorganized some of these govt agencies really are.

Back