Miles or Options??

jpm15

I have heard that miles dont really matter with the inline 6 if it is properly maintained.

As I have posted before, I have been searching around craigslist for an 04 LJ and found a few that look comparable. The most expensive has hard and soft tops. I am leaning toward that one but was wondering what was more important additonal top (hard) or fewer miles.

Which would you prefer?

04 LJ 110k miles excellent condition hard and soft top Asking 12.5k

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5079576963.html

04 LJ 101k miles very good/good as far as I can tell by pics soft top only Asking 11.2k

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5093958667.html

Any advice is appreciated!

One of them is in Colorado. Both are automatics. The 4.0 is allegedly bulletproof, but I'm seeing a bunch of them that required rebuilds between 80 and 150k. Kinda weird to read an ad for a TJ with 130k and they say "only 50k on new motor!" So.... Who knows. It's a crap shoot. I'd be more concerned with frame rot near the rear lower brackets.

Holy crap I just can't believe these prices, 12.5k for a 12 y/o vehicle.
My '03 Mazda, is only worth $2500 on a good day.

Okay so real talk why a lj? You can get a jku. That's alot bigger and a whole lot newer with lower miles for 5-7 thousand more. I realize that's alot of money but your also getting something that could still be under warranty, is ten years newer and has more room.

I wouldn't consider the difference in mileage on those jeeps to even be a factor. If it was 101k vs 150k then it'd be something to consider.

The one on the east coast also seems to have a lot of extras. It's summer, you might find a hard top for $5-600.

Also, I think the problem with the later 4.0's was with the "distributor" cam sensor part grenading the cam and sending metal through the oiling system.

Okay so real talk why a lj? You can get a jku. That's alot bigger and a whole lot newer with lower miles for 5-7 thousand more. I realize that's alot of money but your also getting something that could still be under warranty, is ten years newer and has more room.

Good points and I do really like the JKUs. Used to have an 08.

The primary reason is cost. I currently have an 03 highlander paid off. I don't want another large car payment. Hoping to keep it under a 100 a month. Second, I love the traditional but larger look of the LJ. So I want something relatively inexpensive to wheel and use as a daily driver. I intended to wheel my JKUs but could bring myself to do it with a 26k vehicle.

It's much easier to replace a motor than a frame.

One of them is in Colorado. Both are automatics. The 4.0 is allegedly bulletproof, but I'm seeing a bunch of them that required rebuilds between 80 and 150k. Kinda weird to read an ad for a TJ with 130k and they say "only 50k on new motor!" So.... Who knows. It's a crap shoot. I'd be more concerned with frame rot near the rear lower brackets.

Because it is from a snow/salt state? Also, is this something they would check in a pre-purchase inspection?

Buy the one that is within driving range and you can hand pick it over yourself. No one is going to inspect a car that you are going to buy as yourself. Make a list of everything that you want to look for take it with you and go threw it one thing at a time

Back