hydro assist drilling and tapping

ford guy

can anyone help me find the correct locations to drill and tap my stock 1988 f150 steering box for hydro assist. welded front diff is absolutely impossible to turn. had some very close roll overs due to non turnability. any pictures with locations would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing to add about tapping your steering box.

I had a Yota years back that was welded front and rear. I would run it with one hub unlocked a lot to help with turning. Maybe give that a shot until you can get the hydro set up completed.

uploadfromtaptalk1435622812803.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435622841153.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435622867138.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435622921456.jpg

These are pics from my dad's 88 bronco gearbox. Left line is directly in front of box. Right line is in line with output shaft. That's with the ram body mounted on passenger side of axle with shaft extending to the left. Once you get the box torn down it'll make sense. Basically you just need to tap on either side of the huge piston that moves the output shaft without causing anything to hit internally.

Do your self a favor and convert to the gm canned ham or p pump. Ford full size vans came with them factory so you go to a junkyard and get the pump and bracket from a van with the same engine as your truck. The p pump will blow the shitty whiny ford pump with the plastic reservoir out of the water!

thanks this was helpful. tim c what ram does he use. the ones at tractor supply are the right dimensions according to what I have seen on forums

We both run a surplus center ram with the built in heims. We're both running a 8"x1.5" ram with a 1" shaft on Dana 60s. A 2" ram is more powerful but slower turning. Mine turns as quick as I can spun then wheel on the street so its not noticeable. It'll still push the truck sideways if the tire is against a tree or rock unless I'm really bound up.

X3 on that exact ram!! You will break .250 DOM tie rod in half before you hurt that ram. I've done it twice!

Back