April 18th 2015 Uwharrie OHV workday.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Just getting this out sooner than later. Not a clue at this time as to what is going to be done but will update as soon as i know.

Thanks.

Here is the news from Terry at the USFS.

Hi Everyone – The next work day is April 18th. We’ll continue with installation of guardrail on Daniel, Dickey Bell & a short section of Slab Pile & RML at the bottom of the closure where folks are driving around the existing guardrail.

Also, I’ll have orange diamonds and # decals with me and I’d like one or two small groups that know the trails to mark and sign them so we can have the trail corridors marked better and make sure not to mark the bypasses.

We’ll meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. I’ll be working with you on this work day. We’ll need vehicles that can drag guardrail and haul posts and augers, etc. Bring water, food, working gloves and work boots and make sure you’re dressed appropriately. Thanks for helping us out on the trails.

Jeff & Pete – Let me know I you’re available to work with the volunteers. Rodney will be working with the mt bike group.

Bye - Terry

My sincere thanks to whoever made up the small crew, your work is very much appreciated!

I'll be putting in some time myself later this week (my schedule just hasn't been aligning well with the work days this year so far), if there's anything in particular I can attend to please let me know.

Unfortunately at this point in time i think we are going backward out there this year. More stuff is happening that we can not keep up with. But hopefully soon with an idea someone smarter than me had we can even out the playing field.

Unfortunately at this point in time i think we are going backward out there this year. More stuff is happening that we can not keep up with. But hopefully soon with an idea someone smarter than me had we can even out the playing field.

Ugh, that's crushing to hear. Is it a lot of straying from trails? Excessive trash? Both and/or more?

People taking the guard rail down, and then other folks cutting the brand new put up nice wooden rail with a chainsaw to go thru it to get to an old trail. This last one was / is being put up by a contractor.

People taking the guard rail down, and then other folks cutting the brand new put up nice wooden rail with a chainsaw to go thru it to get to an old trail. This last one was / is being put up by a contractor.

I'm at a loss for words.....

Holy cow! There has got to be some enforcement against this and penalties for this for it to stop. I can't imagine how this makes those of you that have put in years of blood and sweat to keep these trails open feel. Just can't imagine.

That is crazy! How can anyone think that it is OK to do that. People are so stupid. And we all know there must have been plenty of others there just watching/letting it happen. I'm sure saying something to the fool doing it would get less than stellar results, but some pics (plates/vehicle info) and video of it happening posted on here (and various other sites) along with sending it to the Law would yield some results.
Jack rates up for passes and violations. Those of us who actually care don't violate so it won't make any difference. And I'm a cheap SOB, but $30 for a season pass is nothing for the amount of enjoyment that can be had from just one weekend of camping. Double it, cover costs of additional trail enforcement and use revenue from HEFTY fines to further development, enforcement and maintenance. Obviously it isn't that simple but something needs to be done to keep the idiots from ruining it for everyone.

^^^ This ^^^

Daily fee should be $30 and yearly should be $60 - $100.

Exactly why Carolina Beach upped the rates at Freedom Park. You have to do something to reduce usage, overcrowding and stupid (not sure how to fix stupid).

We are working on something thru FOU / the USFS . It is only a start but I am thinking it will really help. We are trying to figure out ways of getting to the bottom of this but it will need everyone's help minus the bad folks.

Ripped right out of the ground, someone would have had a bad day in court had we caught them . I've posted on all the fb sites. If anyone sees any act of destruction or vandalism please take pics. If you don't want to be involved please pm Darin, Snappy or I . We will have it handled appropriately. Vehicle description and or tag numbers....

FOU.jpg

Pissed..... I saw a vehicle off trail when I was out there last time but they ran down the closed section before I could even stop. Was a beat up burgundy 4 door Toyota suv. Darin IDK what the answer is but I'll try and keep an eye out for this strategy meeting so I can try and attend.

I dont understand how some people can be so stupid. And have such a disrespect for the Forrest and the trail system. I would support higher rates for day and season passes, however I doubt this would stop the idiots that are doing things like this. Most likely they aren't buying the passes now.
Not trying to pick a fight, but is destruction like this generally from locals to the area? Hopefully pictures end up on Facebook somewhere of the act being committed and they are caught.

Please let me know when that meeting is I will do my best to attend. Snappy should have my number to let me know.

Back