March 21st 2015 Uwharrie workday

Hi Everyone – I went out to Falls Dam today. Here’s the updated notes.

At Falls Dam Trail – I put up yellow pin flags to follow and a pink flag to mark site A.

Falls Dam Trail – Look for yellow pin flags and pink flagging at the top of Falls Dam Trail about ¼ mile down the trail for the Falls Dam/Art Lilley THs.

A = Install 4 long rails & 5 posts. The rails are on site already but the posts are not. This is being installed on the inside curve of where the large mud hole used to be in the first curve in the trail as you start going off the ridge and downhill. There are 4 long rails to install there. There are 4 posts stuck in the ground that need to be jacked up out of the ground and reused. You’ll need to take 2 new posts up there and reuse the 4 posts that are there. One of the posts you’ll take up is to be installed in the long section of guard rail that is installed is missing one post – you’ll see the sag in the GR to put it in. Add only ‘No Vehicle’ signs behind the GR at this time.

B = Install 2 long rails & 3 posts in the break in the split rail fencing. (no flagging here). This is about ¼ to ½ mile up the trail from the Flatwoods TH. There are 2 rails on site & I think one posts. Take 3 posts so you have enough. Add ‘No Vehicle’ & ‘No Camping Here’ signs behind the GR & split rail fencing.

Snappy – let us know who’ll be in charge of the 2 to 3 groups.

Thanks a lot. Bye - Terry

This is from Terry

Hi Everyone – Sorry for the late email. This Saturday work day is the finishing up of the guardrail installation and slashing in on Daniel Trail and on Falls Dam Trail. Pete Powell & Jeff Greene will be meeting you at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. There are 10 rails still at the Arrowhead Spray field that need to be picked up and dragged to the Daniel Trail & installed. I have gone back up and flagged the 4 sites for guardrail & labeled them as listed below and for how much guardrail & posts are needed in each one. I’ve also flagged some of the area of slashing on the ridge top section of Daniel trail and where some No Vehicle and No Camping signs should go. At each site on Daniel Trail that we’re installing guard rail and slashing in we need to put up some No Camping Here signs. Let me know if you run out of them for the sites.

Daniel Trail – Look for pink flagging for the labeling of which site is what and follow the pin flags that are stuck in the ground at each site for guard rail installation. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation. The site labels start at the top of Daniel Mt and work their way back to the 1st rock crawl area known as Little Daniel going back toward Rocky Mt. Loop.

A1 = At top of Daniel Mt the large rock crawling area nearest Cotton Place TH = On the eastern end of the existing guard rail remove the gap in the existing guard rail (GR) and shift the GR & reuse the 2 posts that are there and take an additional post and add 2 long rails. Put up ‘No Camping’ signs behind the GR. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation.

A2 = At top of Daniel Mt on the western end of the existing GR install 9 long rails with 10 posts. Put up ‘No Camping Here’ & ‘No Vehicle Signs’ behind GR. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation.

A/B = Section of the Daniel Trail where there are short cuts, bypasses, & folks driving off the trail to camp. Put up No Camping & No Vehicle signs along the edge and in the short cut (I have pink flagging only on some branches laying in the some of the bypasses). Winch in large trees and slash to line the edges of the trail (like has been done on Slab Pile Trail on its flat area). Make sure to look at the trail and determine which route is the older, more used and legal route to make sure correct one is being slashed in. Need folks with winches & we’ll have some FS folks with chainsaws working with you to fell larger trees that are hung up nearby. This is about a 300 ft or more section where both sides need to be slashed in.

B = Install 2 long rails & 4 short rails & 7 posts on curve in the trail and install ‘No Camping Here’ & ‘No Vehicle’ signs behind and at ends of GR. Add orange diamonds and arrows to mark the legal trail and the curves people are supposed to follow. Try to mark both sides of the trail in both directions so folks can tell which route is the legal route. Can leave one or two pull offs but make sure they’re edged by slash or logs. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation.

C = This is a long section of 3 subsets of guardrail due to trees there. C1 = 2 short rails & 1 long rail & 5 posts in an L shape. C2 = 9 long rails & 10 posts in straight line along edge of trail. C3 = 3 long & 4 posts in a straight line along edge of trail. Add ‘No Camping’ & ‘No Vehicle’ Signs along the trail at the ends of the whole area and then behind the GR. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation.

D = Install 10 long rails & 11 posts in the curve at the top of the first rock crawl at the western end of the trail (Little Daniel). These are all on one side of the trail. Install ‘No Camping Here’ & ‘No Vehicle’ signs at the ends of the guardrail & behind the GR. Stay along the pin flag line or between the pin flag line and the existing, legal trail with the guardrail installation.

Falls Dam Trail – Look for pin flags and pink flagging at the top of Falls Dam Trail about ¼ mile down the trail for the Falls Dam/Art Lilley THs.

A = Install 5 long rails & 6 posts. The rails are on site already but the posts are not. This is being installed on the inside curve of where the large mud hole used to be in the first curve in the trail as you start going off the ridge and downhill. Add only ‘No Vehicle’ signs behind the GR at this time.

B = Install 2 long rails & 3 posts in the break in the split rail fencing. This is about ¼ to ½ mile up the trail from the Flatwoods TH. There are 2 rails on site & I think one posts. So need to take 1 additional post. Add ‘No Vehicle’ & ‘No Camping Here’ signs behind the GR & split rail fencing.

I’m going out to Falls Dam today to verify the numbers and the needs there & I’ll send out a follow up email this afternoon or tomorrow morning & give the info to Pete & Jeff so the correct number of rails & posts go to the right sites.

Thanks a lot. Bye - Terry

A BIG thanks to Zack Dent, BigGoofy, for helping get the FOU M51A2 6x6 dump truck up and running at the workday today. Two new batteries were installed, fuel lines bled and with Zack's touch she fired up and was test driven. A few more minor fixes and the truck will be ready for FS workday duty again!

Dutch John is cleaned up and ready for opening weekend!

Here are pics of the two biggest crossings. The streams were high with the recent rain. They should be really good during the summer months.

Huge thanks to NC4x4 for sponsoring the grubbage!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 448
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 439
You can still camp at a bunch of places there. Just can not pull your vehicle back there to where you want to camp. But that has always been an issue. Just now being addressed and fixed. You have to park on the side of the trail now as it should of been the whole time.

I'm just trying to get a clear picture... It looks like the rails prevent any kind of parking too. Can't park on the trails or you block people.

The opposite side of the rails still has plenty of spots to pull a vehicle to the side without blocking the trail. I had my k5 off to the side out of the way and it takes up more realestate than a jeep, lol.

There is plenty of parking and camping areas left. We only closed off certain problem areas. However there is no more easy way up the backside of daniel. It's now a single lane above lil daniel. This should end many problems for now.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a fan of parking my jeep and walking away from it to camp. Like to have my stuff next to me... Call me crazy...

Anyway, hopefully everyone doesn't get relegated to the camp grounds. Trail camping is where the fun's at!

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a fan of parking my jeep and walking away from it to camp. Like to have my stuff next to me... Call me crazy...

Anyway, hopefully everyone doesn't get relegated to the camp grounds. Trail camping is where the fun's at!
If you are more than a jeep width off the trail then thats a no go. The camp sites that are 100 ft or more off the trail will have to be carried to. This specifically was discussed at the last meeting and the idea of specific on trail camp sites with parking may be the next step if not "self" policed by the user. Enjoy the camping but if it is off the trail that far, please pack in your gear.

Back