Chosing a welder

I bought the Hobart 210 MVP about a year ago, and I love it, it has a dual plug setup for 220 or 110, I use gas and this machine makes me a better welder, not a good welder

I always used solid wire. I hate the spatter of flux core, although it burns much hotter. We actually use .045 flux core at work with 100% CO2. Why? I'm not sure...they spend a LOT of timing chipping slag, wire brushing, and knocking off weld BBs before they get mag'd. Especially when they're laying 3/4 and 1" welds. That's a crap load of weld.

The size of those welds, production speed, and likely less prep is why they are runnin that type of wire.

Anything welded gets ground to bare metal. It's got to be clean with no inclusions. All critical welds get mag checked for cracks or imperfections. We manufacture overhead lifting equipment, so it's gotta be right!

One of the QA/weld inspectors told me that's what the last welding supervisor wanted to use and we've used it ever since. Same guy used to run the local Machine & Welding Supply Company. He's been trying to get them to change over to solid wire and it would be much faster, honestly. Not near as much chipping of slag and spatter. We use solid wire on our robot welder and it's awesome!

Usually, on a 1" weld they will do 13 passes. It takes forever!

Lincoln 180C more than likely. Hobart is made by miller.

Doesn't the miller have infinite controls and the Hobart has positioned settings?

My hobart 190 has infinite control

On voltage too?

I think I'll keep on swinging with my miller 185, it's been plenty big enough for my sporatic full time /part time projects . nearly 18 years and going strong. ...

That's what I mean by infinite controls. Both settings are variable, no selected settings.

Miller has a new rebate out. 200$ back for a 211 and 200$ back for spending 200$ on miller acessories. I'll be putting an elite helmet and 211 on order on monday.

Also, newer miller and Lincoln inverters have a 10 year design life span.

This should not be overlooked. It's likely because of lead free solder on the boards, and essentially means that no matter how much you use (or don't use) the machine, it's likely to be garbage in 10 years. That goes for pretty much all consumer electronics nowadays -- if you turn it over and it has a little recycle symbol with a 10 on it, that's when you can expect to throw it away.

This should not be overlooked. It's likely because of lead free solder on the boards, and essentially means that no matter how much you use (or don't use) the machine, it's likely to be garbage in 10 years. That goes for pretty much all consumer electronics nowadays -- if you turn it over and it has a little recycle symbol with a 10 on it, that's when you can expect to throw it away.

I'm assuming that's how some of the inverters made in Europe are claiming 25 yr life span? Better solder?

I'm assuming that's how some of the inverters made in Europe are claiming 25 yr life span? Better solder?

I doubt it...? What I know of the solder regulations is that it's an EU thing. They call it RoHS for Reduction of Hazardous Substances. There are some exceptions, but I think it's mostly military stuff.

Back