The Replacement or Why I Love OBS Fords

If they are the sport mirrors like are on her now except chrome faced I may be interested in them. :)

Run flat grease...... :poop:

I used the wife's large silicone spatula to get the biggest of it out. I set up a block of wood on some newspaper to wipe it off of my borrowed tool.

I got it down to a thin skim and it just was not coming out by wiping. I was about to just decide that balance beads were not in my future.

I came in and read some online posts about it and voila! it seems the grease is soap and water soluble! Purple Power, Dawn and a stiff brush with plenty of water and it came clean as a whistle in just a few minutes. I got as much water out as I could by playing the tire flip game and then a couple of old towels got the rest.

They are all cleaned out and ready for mounting except for the plug I found in one. I wiil patch that and then mount em up this weekend I hope.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1201_zps0f60815b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Run flat grease...... :poop:

I used the wife's large silicone spatula to get the biggest of it out. I set up a block of wood on some newspaper to wipe it off of my borrowed tool.

I got it down to a thin skim and it just was not coming out by wiping. I was about to just decide that balance beads were not in my future.

I came in and read some online posts about it and voila! it seems the grease is soap and water soluble! Purple Power, Dawn and a stiff brush with plenty of water and it came clean as a whistle in just a few minutes. I got as much water out as I could by playing the tire flip game and then a couple of old towels got the rest.

They are all cleaned out and ready for mounting except for the plug I found in one. I wiil patch that and then mount em up this weekend I hope.

I prefer the water/antifreeze solution for balancing vs beads, but it doesnt work so well with 16.5s. Be prepared to break out the ether if you havent been stretching your sidewalls this week.

Well, I got my tires on the wheels and on the truck today. I am really happy with the color (Cast Iron Gray) and the tires look awesome. I think I will put an add-a-lead on the front or do a shackle reversal. The tires rub nowhere and it rides better than before. I adjusted my rear brakes while I had the wheels off and found that some of the brake hardware was not installed correctly. So now I have new wheels/tires as well as rear brakes/parking brakes that actually work :)

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1235_zps39fdbe92.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1249_zpse7ec785d.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1251_zps645c088b.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1253_zps74160336.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1254_zps05da56c7.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_IMG_1255_zps69952208.jpg

Thanks man, I didn't want black but the theme is dark so gray it is. The color seems to really make the black of the tires and hubs look good. I think I want to get some plain cadmium plated open lug nuts for it. The chrome ones aren't working for me.

Gray toolbox and whatever color is easiest to touch up on the bed caps.
So, tool box and bed caps. Satin Black or cast iron gray?

Bent up and welded together a light bar hoop for the front bumper yesterday.
Got it sanded and primed/painted this afternoon. Will hopefully put it on and take pictures tomorrow.

Went to Chesapeake and picked up a Bronco fuel tank to replace my rear tank.
This replaces the stock rear 19G tank with a 32G. Got tank and fuel pump module complete.

Updates soon.

Fuel is old and stinks like only old gas can. Will clean it out with an old chain and some soapy water to make sure no trash.
Paint it with zinc paint and slap it in. It will be nice to have that much fuel reserve.

The Bronco pump hanger is discontinued and impossible to get separate. Glad I found this thing.

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_C4ADE1E7_4691_4709_B7DC_7AFBF0A477F9_zpsqyqwlj9d.jpg

Well thanks to some advice here, I got my tube light bar bent up and mounted. It is 1.25 HREW tube and has a mount tab the length of the top.
Will fit round 6" lights. What are some good for the money lights in black I should consider?

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_7DAD289E_1B67_4451_8E5D_664CC4FE9588_zpsrrqhvfss.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_5A6BCBDB_AE16_4991_89ED_4FE41F4E0D4F_zpsxmmt4csq.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_7CD59868_9983_4221_862E_D1A1CB217EDF_zpskkjjouca.jpg

ai7.photobucket.com_albums_y252_ponykilr_24983E05_0FD1_410D_83F4_DF6E0E5FE806_zpsgccef4z1.jpg

Well, yesterday-

I have a weird little shake in the front and I know it is because there are no weights on the outside 4" of wheel.
They were balanced on the inside and up to the wheel disc with stick on weights.

I removed the front wheels/tires yesterday and removed the valve cores. I popped the bead of the tire, just slid right off ....16.5s....
Poured in 11oz of heavy .25 gram airsoft BBs in each and.......

Couldn't get the bead to seat. Tried every trick I knew except the ether pop....no ether.
So I will go to the tire shop this morning and get them to use that air tank air shooter thing-a-ma-jig on them.​

Issue 2-

Also I realized that my front tank check valve is bad. When running the rear tank, fuel is going into the front tank.
This means I need to replace the front fuel pump. It's probably a good idea to just replace them both anyway since I am putting the 32 gallon rear tank in.

Question-

I am considering changing my wheels to hummer wheels. I like the look and this would allow me to change tires easily at home. It also would let me have one spare between the truck and the M1101 trailer. I would need spacers, I am dubious of spacers. If I buy steel 3" wheel spacers would they be ok? I guess stress wise they are no different that wheel offset on bearings and as long as they are high quality and the nuts stay tight they work ok.... what do you guys think? Remember this truck is not a rock crawler and 3000 lbs is about the max trailer I will tow with it and that is less than a 400 lb tongue weight.​

steel or even aluminum spacers will be fine as long as you get good ones (not cheap ones) and keep the lug nuts tight.

Hummer wheels are going to give you the same mounting issue, unless you install the inserts/runflats in the tires. Without the inserts, you will need a Cheetah or ether to seat them.

Well, not so happy with the beads. They seem to work well at highway speed (butter smooth), but I get some crazy wobbles that come and go under 50 or so. No rhyme or reason to it. It might be perfect at 40mph and the next time at that speed it feels like a possum is hanging on my valve stem. It seems to be worse around corners. I have tried rotating the tires, every air pressure possible and adding more beads. Still there but has changed a little sometimes when I tried something. After more reading, I guess this combo is just one of the ones that beads do not work on. From what I have read now, the MTRs in particular seem to be resistant to beads and water balance methods.

I have made up my mind to just bite the bullet and allow my tire folks to put clip on weights on the outside of my wheels. Dynamic balance is the best balance and inside weight on such a big ole tire is not gonna cut it. These have almost 5" of wheel past the center and are going to have to have some balance out there it seems. I guess once I verify that the balance issues are gone, I can take a tiny brush and paint the weights the same color as the wheel....

Went in to have them balanced, after seeing the tires on the balancer, all I have to say is "wow".
It does not shake bad, as a matter of fact they ride better than my old 285s even with the tremble. But, I want it better.

Two are pretty out of round. My tire store does tire truing and I have an appt. to get them trued and balanced Monday. They have a big sign up in the shop that says "Tires Are Not Round" LOL

The owner talked with me a while about truing, I had it done to the front tires on my Snap-on van about a year ago and it went from bad to perfect. The owner says a trued tire will last longer than an un-trued tire. He says a tire is only as good as it's lowest point, and truing only takes rubber off til the lowest point.

Anyway, at this point I am too deep into these to give up so Monday we will get them cut and balanced. He says he has trued thousands of big off road tires over the years and never had any that didn't balance and ride great. Been there for 50 years, so I believe him.

This truck has to be smooth on the road, it isn't just a toy. I love the look of these MTRs but the ride on a 2-3 hour trip has got to be tolerable.
More info after Monday. Will even take a video maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your tire place must be Massey's in Selma....they are very good at what they do. If anybody can get the shake out of those tires it's them.

Back