January 24th 2015 URE Workday

2 would be tter than one

Hi Everyone – I talked with Snappy today and let him know it’s been raining all day tomorrow and we’re expecting rain for most of tomorrow too. We decided that it’s not freezing and many folks have already changed their work schedules to be at this work day so we’ll still have the work day.

Again, here’s the general plan. First we’ll all meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. We’ll divide into our groups and some will go to the Arrowhead CG spray field to pick up guardrail supplies

1. Carolina Broncos will remove one of the log crossings on Dutch John Trail (they know the one) and if time allows they’ll begin rocking the crossing using native rock from the trail near the site.

2. One group will go with Jeff Greene & get 4 long rails & 5 posts from the Arrowhead spray field and head to the Falls Dam Trail heading in from the Flatwoods Trailhead. There is old split rail fencing here on the left side of the trail that has a big break in the fencing and where we’ve used logs to block off this area again. I think it’s flagged with pink flagging and labeled B and to install 100 ft of guardrail. When this group is complete they need to then head to Dickey Bell Trail and merge into the other 2 groups working on DB to install more sections of guardrail along DB.

3. One group will go to the spray field and get 2 long rails and 6 short rails and the last 3 posts and head to the downhill side of the rock crawl area on Dickey Bell Trail (Little Daniel?). This group will be replacing the split rail fencing with guardrail. Additional posts will come from the upper side of Dickey Bell.

4. One Group will go with Terry Savery & head up to Dickey Bell Trail (starting from where the trail crosses FR 553) and we’ll be heading up to the long flat area where we’ve been installing guardrail. We’ll be picking up guardrail & posts from here & taking some out of the ground and then dragging it to the top of the rock crawl area and installing it there, but on our way there we’ll also block off some illegal trails & extend sections of guardrail that have already been installed.

5. We’ll install “No Vehicle Signs” behind the barricades.

Every group working on the guardrail will have augers & mixed gas. Each of these groups will need to have ratchets, chains, cables, shovels, rock bars, etc. & things to drag the rails from the spray field to the trails please bring what you have. Anyone that has a truck or trail trailer that can haul posts, tools, etc. please bring them because we are going to be spread out in several areas . We’ll also need folks with winches, chains & cables to pull some of the installed guardrail and posts up and then haul them to the new location. Bring snacks & water, rain gear, gloves, boots, etc. I think we’ll be meeting for lunch hopefully by 2 or 2:30 at the Dutch John Trailhead thanks to Snappy. I really appreciate everyone coming up to volunteer again. It is a constant battle to keep up with things and we need a lot of help to keep these trails open. See you tomorrow.

Bye - Terry

First I would like to thank all the folks / clubs that came out today.

Then I would like to apologize for the lack of materials for today and then lead to a lot of folks standing around. I tried to make sure we had enough materials but the folks that could buy the stuff were not in the office for the last little bit. Therefore we did not have enough stuff. I have already asked for way more stuff to be bought. Please do not think I was anywhere close to being happy we had all these folks and not enough materials for the work we needed to get done.

We did get more done today than I had planned on so thank you to everyone that made that happen.

I will be going out with Terry and Joel in the next week or 2 to confirm what we are going to do for February workday.

You could say that having 'too many' volunteers is way better than having too few!
Thanks, Darin and Snappy for pulling this together.
Can't wait for the next work day, February 21st.

Brockster

Last edited:
Back