safety inspection question...

Discussion in 'Newbie Tech' started by cranberry, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry New Member

I know a few of you guys have NC auto inspectors license's...

What are the requirements for passing a NC state safety inspection? (85 model vehicle)

I know about tread depth, rear view mirror (windshield mount and driver's side), headlights (high/low beam) brake lights, turn signals, license plate light, and windshield wipers.

Do you have to have reverse lights? (or anything else I failed to mention)

I have tried to google it but I have found nothing that states exactly what minimums the vehicle MUST have to pass NC safety inspection.
  2. Chris_M

Chris_M Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Pirate Monk Moderator

Hold off awhile if you can. I just saw something on the news about NC possibly discontinuing auto inspections :bounce:
  4. Granny

Granny Senior Boomer

What channel did you see that on? :confused:

This is the story coming across the Charlotte news channels: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/20165396/detail.html
  5. rattlecanpaint

rattlecanpaint Well-Known Member

You need to have everything emissions wise that came on the vehicle from the factory. It doesn't have to work, but it has to appear operable. I.e. if it had an air pump, it has to have the belt hooked up and hoses in tact, even if the guts of the pump aren't there. Same goes with a cat. If it's just a housing with no guts, it passes, but the housing must be there. You need one back up light an not more than 2 (unless the car came with more like the Pontiac Grand Am). Honestly, I hope they don't do away with it as I make thousands of $$ a year doing them and the things they require.
  6. JC

JC Pirate Monk Moderator

Channel 2 News, WFMY, in Greensboro ran a piece about it on the o'clock news. They actually had a couple of garage guys saying that they didn't make that much off inspections?
  7. burrellsjeep

burrellsjeep Breaking Stuff...

They make like less than $10 off of it right??

I know they have already gone to no sticker just going off the reg. Maybe this a step in that direction
  8. RenegadeT

RenegadeT no shirt,no shoes,no dice Moderator

In addition to what you mentioned...
    on the dash, you need the high beam indicator and turn signal indicators....that's it, no need for speedo, odometer, illumination.
    need a horn
    reverse lights are not required
    must have at least 2 mirrors, out of 3 possible locations (windshield, drivers side, pass. side)

Then the other items...tight steering (no loose tie rods, balljoints), good brakes (no axle lube leaking into drums). They are supposed to check the parking brake, it is supposed to hold an automatic from idling in Drive, and a manual when they let the clutch out in gear.
    Tread depth minumum, can't remember the number.

I am not an inspector, just my experience over the years.
  9. rattlecanpaint

rattlecanpaint Well-Known Member

I personally make $10 a pop on just the inspection, then the things that people wouldn't fix if it wasn't required to pass inspection. Leaking power steering lines comes to mind first off.
  10. Reid

Reid Well-Known Member

that would be nice for me. then i can go full buggy.

of course, as long as it will take to go en effect, my 78 will be aged out on inspections and wont need one anyway.
  11. bigred

bigred Member

We will always have inspections. We may get rid of safty inspections, but we will always have emisions inspectons. That is thanks to our federal government. We would lose too much grant money if we eliminated emissions inspections.
  12. *babylugnut*

*babylugnut* Member

Minimum tread depths is 2/32nds. No 2nd layer wear present. They do not check brake pads unless hear or "feel" a reason to look closer. Headlights/tail lights/turn signals must all work and lens cannot be cracked. Mirrors as mentioned before. Gets sticky if have a camper on truck as far as 3rd brake light goes. I have heard multiple rulings. Been a couple of years since took the class. Inspection license just expired but unless somethings changed that should be majority along with the other things mentioned.
  13. hoop

hoop openin a can o' Hoopass

hate to rain on "babylugnut"" s parade but the depth requirement is 3/32........2/32 is merely 1/16 now isn't it?:shaking:
  14. RenegadeT

rain rain go away...
    page 54...http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/regulationsmanual/download/CR435NCDOTEnforcement.pdf
  15. Ron

Ron Still first class white trash (if you can't tell) Moderator

Really?
    Someone forgot to tell SC
  16. dmoore714

dmoore714 Member

What about windshields? Mine is cracked all the way across, and all I have is liability insurance (no comprehensive) so it would cost $200ish to get it replaced.
  17. RenegadeT

I was told as long as it doesn't impede the vision of the driver. I have had many broken windshields pass NC inpection, its pretty subjective.
  18. MadAR15

MadAR15 New Member

mine has been cracked for 2 years, and still passes.

Are you required to have the tailpipe all the way back, or can you just aim it down off of the muffler?
  19. lockedup5

lockedup5 overcompensating underachiever

Can a CJ running propane pass legally?
  20. rockkrawler4x4

rockkrawler4x4 got yota

yes a propane vehicle is still street legal.
  21. rockkrawler4x4

rockkrawler4x4 got yota

nc inspection

as long as the exhaust exits past the passenger compartment it is legal as long as all factory emision devices are there.
  22. Bullardbs

Bullardbs Active Member

If you can run our finger nail over it and feel it it fails that that is what they told us in class because if u can feel it it will mess up your wiper blades
  23. 2Ton

2Ton Member

Is it true, legally, you only need wipers, but not a windshield?
  24. bigred

bigred Member

You only need wipers if you have a windshield and they must clean the windshield, even through cracks. Thats what we check for.
  25. bigred

bigred Member

Well the laws very from state to state. If you don't have any emissions inspections of any kind the national governement will be lowering or eliminating the amount of money that state get for road repair/building. I know there is a deadline on its way.

I was really refering to NC only. Thats the deal with SC. I personally belive they will have emiions inspections for 1996 and newer cars before long.