Custom Leaf Spring Shop?

Discussion in 'Vendor and Shop Referrals' started by R Q, Jan 11, 2012.

1. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Is there any spring shops around that still MAKE custom leaf springs? Spring Service in Charlotte doesn't anymore.
  2. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks. Not sure about "custom", but had a set rearched, at Spring Ser., years ago. Was a good shop across the street from them, but there closed. They didn't recommend anyone? Check Yellow pages?
  3. yager

yager Better Faster Stronger

Alcan
  4. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

No they didn't know anyone. actually the guy didn't know much at all.

I have Alcans now, they're just too tall. I have emailed Charles (at Alcan) to see what he can do to help me out. I was trying to do this on the cheap.

A little info on my issue. I had 4" Alcans on it from 2001 to 2005 but of course wanted to go big so I put new 6" lift Alcans, new axles , and got bigger tires (36" IROKs). It got too tall, so bad that I lost my nerve on too many occasions and had to learn to save the Jeep from rolls all too often.
    The 6" springs actually gave me about 8-10 of total spring lift...TOO much! So now I'm trying to get it back down...on the cheap.
  5. yager

yager Better Faster Stronger

I had good luck making my own pack on the front of the red jeep. Was a mix/match of XJ main leaf cut down, with a 2nd XJ leaf mixed in with a YJ pack, and a few others to create a nice fan out. Ended up w/ 8 leafs, but sat more/less flat across. Rears I had alcans, they held up great and I know Jeff is harder on the old girl now then I was.....
  6. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

I''l have a hard time doing mix and match springs. Mine are 2" wide in the front and rears are pretty long. but that's avenue I'll pursue.
    Alcan has been sold and the new owner emailed me back last night. I'll call him today and go from there.
  7. TPS

TPS Active Member

dearch the springs. it will lower your lift and have no effect on the spring rate. only a minimal length gain
  8. amcjeepman

amcjeepman Stercus Accidit Moderator

Richard,
    I have a pretty good selection of 2" wide spring leaves if you decide to do the mix and match route.
    Quite a few 2.5" wide one's as well.
  9. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Thanks James. I may well take you up on that. I hope to get back on it this weekend so I can move forward with it.
  10. bannerp

bannerp Member

There is a custom spring shop in Johnson City TN its about 3 1/2 4 hours from charlotte they custom build/repair springs give em a call tell them what you want 423 926 1022
  11. oleblue84

oleblue84 Member

custom spring shop

fleet pride in garner nc
  12. nctom

nctom Well-Known Member

Richard, I would think the Fleet Pride in Charlotte can get them done in Garner and brought to the store in Charlotte.
  13. bobwire

bobwire New Member

wilson's rv in asheville 828-254-4676 makes and re arches springs
  14. mbalbritton

mbalbritton #@$%!

Richard,

Been a while since I was there, but Auto Spring in Winston may be worth a call.

Auto Spring Co
    1323 North Liberty Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27105-6600
    (336) 723-7001 ‎
  15. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Bonjour! Moderator

Yeap, but my fears always been they primarily work on DUMPTRUCKS and my junk rides like one already! :lol:

I happen to have a set of monoleafs w/ some F150 leafs added to them... if you decide to do it right and go SOA! :flipoff2:
  16. snappy

snappy YHDG's adopted son!!! Moderator

These guys are pretty cool. I talked to them about doing a set of springs for me, He said they could do stock rates(they have charts for this) with the lift I wanted rather than doing an add a leaf and uping the spring rate so much.
  17. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave