State Park/Mountains

Cherokeekid88

So the wife and I have the day off this Friday and the wife has been wanting to go to the mountains and possibly go hiking. We usually go to Hanging rock which is about an hour away. What other mountains/state parks that are worth going to that are around and hour or so away from High Point/Greensboro/Winston?

How strenuous?
Pushing your travel time a bit. - but Linville Gorge is always a good time.

More than an hour, but Mt Rogers is the best hike within 3 states, and I'll die in that hill (breathing heavy and asking for a beer)
Oh but man is it gorgeous up there.

Its pretty much worth your death.

From where you are, Stone Mountain would be hard to beat. For a longer drive, Linville Gorge is the most beautiful and rugged place on the east coast. For wild horses and unusual terrain, Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers is super cool. If you want to stay closer, check out Morrow Mountain or something else around Uwharrie.

How strenuous?
Pushing your travel time a bit. - but Linville Gorge is always a good time.
Not at all lol I just want to go an enjoy the views and relax honestly, but the wife is on this hiking kick which I am glad and will be glad to support her.

We sort of have a window of time. Dropping the little one off at school at 7 and then headed to wherever we are going and then back by 2 to pick her up, which is why I am trying to stay close by.

We sort of have a window of time. Dropping the little one off at school at 7 and then headed to wherever we are going and then back by 2 to pick her up, which is why I am trying to stay close by.
Yeah, in that timeframe, your options are pretty limited. But Stone Mountain or Uwharrie are some good options. There might also be something at Pilot Mountain, but I've never been there.

From GSO, I will second Matt with Stone Mountain. It is 1.5 hrs from Greensboro, but very much worth it.

Pilot Mountain has some nice trails. You can drive to the top and hike around, or park at the bottom off Pinnacle Hotel Rd and hike all the way up. It is a fairly long, fairly strenuous climb.

Not a ton of hiking trails there, but Fall Creek Waterfall up off Deshazo Rd is nice. You can hike past the waterfall and walk along the Mayo River for a little distance.

There are a lot of hiking trails around the lakes North of Greensboro too that are very nice and obviously close by.

Rock Castle Gorge hiking area off the Blue Ridge Parkway is very nice, but probably too far for your timeframe.

Chinqua-Penn Walking Trail is nice and not far, but not a long trail. There is a cool old dam there. I've only been there once.

Cumberland Knob Gully Creek trail is probalby the closest hiking trail on the Blue Ridge Parkway to GSO at about 1.5 hrs.

I've only hiked at Uwharrie once, Many years ago, and I don't remember what trail I hiked.

Last edited:
Stone mountain is great. Bring your tunks and hit up widow falls.

Are there any good places to eat right near stone mountain? either breakfast or lunch.
There's a creamery and store on the road going into the park. But elkin is 10 minutes or so south on 21. If you go to elkin, I recommend cowboy restaurant for lunch or supper. Terry's is also on the way to the park on 21 in state road and is my go to breakfast if im hunting our place up there.

You're also a stones throw from the blue ridge parkway.

It’s probably further than you are asking, but South Mountain State Park is a great hike and nice waterfall.
I was going to say this. This is one of our favorite parks. We were just hiking out there the other day.

If you go to Stone Mountain, I would recommend hiking the Stone Mountain Loop trail. I also recommend parking at the Lower parking lot and hiking the trail clockwise. You will start up some switchbacks, then come to some wooden steps that go up the big dome rock, along the top to the top of the waterfall, down more wooden steps and back along a creek to the base of the dome rock and restored old homestead site.

1715173450522.png

At Pilot Mountain, the 'Mountain Trail' is the one I was referring to that starts way at the bottom and leads to the top. If that is too much, then drive to the top and hike the Ledge Spring Trail around and you will typically see some folks rock climbing.

1715173725661.png

So we are gonna hit up Stone Mountain. Probably eat breakfast on the way somewhere and then try and maybe hit up one of the places yall recommended. The Cowboy place looks cool.

So we are gonna hit up Stone Mountain. Probably eat breakfast on the way somewhere and then try and maybe hit up one of the places yall recommended. The Cowboy place looks cool.

It's my go to for a reasonable steak dinner. Only 10 minutes or so from the house.

i wonder if they survived

Back