hitches..Gen-y vs Weight Distribution

marty79

customer gave me this monstrosity...
currently I have a 14k weight distribution hitch..tows pretty good with my suburban.
I can't find any info on which is better?? or am I comparing apples to oranges. thanks guys
(I've never even heard of these nor do I know anything about it)
20240513_073442.jpg

Yeah...they're not the same thing or for the same purpose at all.

The intent of that is to isolate trailer movement from the tow vehicle. It does nothing for weight distribution.

so I'm assuming keep my WDH setup then? thanks guys

so I'm assuming keep my WDH setup then? thanks guys
Along what Shawn said, that hitch is designed to dampen the load acting on the hitch. Unless you have enough truck/receiver I highly recommend staying away from it. The length and a poorly built receiver equals more leverage and tearing up the trucks hitch. Another member on here had one go bad south running a decent sized camper. He would have been better to run a weight distribution hitch. Instead his whole receiver had to be rebuilt on the road.

Personally I think the whole thing is an over engineered gimmick for a problem 90 percent of folks don't have.....but hey it's big gawky and expensive. They probably sell the crap out of them to the shoes that fit.

Along what Shawn said, that hitch is designed to dampen the load acting on the hitch. Unless you have enough truck/receiver I highly recommend staying away from it. The length and a poorly built receiver equals more leverage and tearing up the trucks hitch. Another member on here had one go bad south running a decent sized camper. He would have been better to run a weight distribution hitch. Instead his whole receiver had to be rebuilt on the road.

Personally I think the whole thing is an over engineered gimmick for a problem 90 percent of folks don't have.....but hey it's big gawky and expensive. They probably sell the crap out of them to the shoes that fit.
cool thanks buddy

2 very different hitches. I’m the one that had an issue. Somewhere along the way I suppose I rubbed Andrew wrong since he ghosted me and now just speaks of me as someone he used to know :confused:

Neither here nor there, he is correct. It’s a great hitch but it adds a lot of leverage. You can actually run a WD hitch along with the Gen Y, which I would like to do. But I had the receiver extra beefed up out in AZ to handle the leverage/load.

I’m very happy with it, since it was given to you it’s worth having around especially if you change height often. But it does not do the same thing as a WD hitch.

Somewhere along the way I suppose I rubbed Andrew wrong since he ghosted me and now just speaks of me as someone he used to know :confused:
That is a hell of a comment for the inter webs. I didn't use your name out of respect. I figured I didn't have the right to share those details. As far as ghosting you last we spoke I believe it was about doing some work. I'm sorry if I didn't convey that I had become extremely busy with many things including a whole other career move. I remember we spoke and the time frame was very close and you needed a turn around to get out of town. We couldn't get it lined up. Sorry it didn't work out. My phone number hasn't changed either.

Back